Do you look at updates before pledging on a Kickstarter?

Do you look at updates before pledging on a Kickstarter?

• Yes

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 40.5%

Retreater

Legend
It depends. I've dropped my pledges after seeing updates that showed me the project wasn't what I initially thought (which was the case with Massive Darkness 2), but sometimes they put me over the fence to back when I liked what I saw (which was the case with Savage Pathfinder).
So I think in either case, if you get more pledges or cancellations, it's a positive in that your backers are making more informed decisions and are less likely to be disappointed in the product.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I answered Nope. If it's intriguing to me on the front page, then I'll set a Reminder. If 2 days out I'm still super psyched, I'll back. If not, then I'll wait for the 8 hour reminder 🕰️ . If I'm not super psyched then, I won't back.

I will look at the updates or the comments if something is not clear, or if there's something important missing, like shipping in the US. But otherwise? I don't look at the updates until I back.

MGibster

Legend
I'm not really interested in how the sausage gets made. I won't say I've never looked at updates but I generally don't check them. The only campaign I checked in on regularly was the last Zombicide one and that's just because I wanted to see what the next unlocked bonus miniature would be. Hint: It was often a zombie.

aramis erak

Legend
And when I think about my own KS backing behaviour, I have never, ever looked at updates on a KS before pledging. If it's not on the front page, I don't see it. So for me, no update has ever gotten me to back a KS.
More than half the time, the updates keep me from jumping on it. The ones for Vaesen, however, were what got me onboard. Same for Space Aces. And for Once More into The Void. The LACK of stretch goals for once more was a selling point.

Some, however, I was ready to be on board before the KS. Twilight 2000, Sentinel Comics, and the 8 Minute Empires expansion.

Others, the tone and tibre of the updates made me decide not to... Including one currently ongoing and being hyped even on EnWorld... the updates made it clear to me I'm (1) not their intended audience, (2) more risk averse than I was aware, and (3) unconvinced that they have a clue.

Space Aces, on the other hand, showed that they were clued in. They responded to questions. They kept the stretch goals reasonable. And shockingly, they delivered on time. Fastest KS to product I've gotten, and that's counting several PDF only KS purchases.

Likewise, OMItV sent a preview version at pledge, via a backer-only update. It's very different than I was expecting, in a good way.

my budget is limited. Very limited. So I don't pledge unless I'm certain I am not wasting my money.

Ulfgeir

Hero
It is the front page that will usually hook me (I will check out the video as well) . If I am undecided about a project, then I will set a reminder, and then come back later to check the updates.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And shockingly, they delivered on time. Fastest KS to product I've gotten, and that's counting several PDF only KS purchases.
Hah! I'd be willing to bet not as fast as me! I'm pretty sure I'm the world record holder there (consistently within seconds for PDFs, and physical rewards sent out as soon as soon as KS funds clear). It's something I've gotten down to a well-practised science over 20+ successful Kickstarters. :)

Before pledging?
Typically not, unless there's some concern of FAQ

Dunno why an update would cause a drop
Impulse backers being reminded of their pledge and opting out?

Ulfgeir

Hero
I don't think I have unbacked any project, though there are some that I once I got the product wished I had. But the updates have decided things I were on the fence about. In some cases to back it (like The One Ring 2e), and others to not back it.

Remove ads