D&D 5E Do you love Awesome Names?

Do you love awesome names?

• Awesome names are awesome.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • D&D is serious.

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • You lost me at Fonkin Hoddyspeak.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I would never vote in a poll that would allow me to vote in it.

Votes: 9 10.1%

MrWildman

Explorer
Way back in my AD&D days I used to take my NPC and place names very seriously. After all, I'd spent a lot of time and effort to make them evocative and consistent.
Then I realized it didn't matter what I named the NPC's; my players are going to call the Dwarf King "Barney Rubble", and the Pirate King "Cap'n Skippy", and the Evil High Priest "The Big Wanker".
Looking back, I can't remember what I originally named them. But I'll always remember "Now! Ice The Big Wanker!"

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
When I want a reasonably serious name for a Dwarf, I find a large Atlas of Norway / Sweden / Denmark and pick out a town name that sounds cool, and apply that to my character. Keeping in mind I'm going to hear it a lot.
For my 4e Dwarven 'Truenamer' Invoker, I deliberately picked a town that had four letters in its name. So I could say that this guy, who spoke the Language of Creation, was saddled with a four-letter-word of a name.
Eventually somebody figured out that I did not mean 'his name is a cuss word'. (both of which also have four letters ... hmmm... )

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And yes, my tolerance for names does have a limit, somewhere way out there. A character played in another game had the dubious moniker of "Mr. Giggles", which goes beyond even what I'll put up with.

We once fought a diabolical marionette/golem creature named Mr. Snickers. But that was an NPC, not a PC.

Goarath

First Post
oh boy, where to begin? I, personally, don't really care what people name their character, but that won't stop me from making fun of my players. Here's a list of names I've seen, and maybe some that I've used in the past:

Lord Crusty Dynamo (Goliath Barbarian)
Billy Bob Corn Dog (Human Ranger/Hillbilly)
Grip Ripit (Home brew Froglock Bard)
Sir Reginald Baragustus Longjohnson III Esquire (Human Paladin)
Bob (Gnome Sorcerer)
Joe "The Holy Diver" Fishman (Triton Paladin) I tried to get him to be named "Rodney James Dartfish" :D
Alfredo Damingo Defloures (Human Monk)
MacMuffin (Dragonborn Fighter)
Barnabus Brineswallow (Human Swashbuckler)

And that's just a few. I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: D&D is for fun. Does it feel weird saying someone's stupid name in a serious manner? Of course it does. But after you say it, everyone can have a good laugh, and get on with the story. I see no need to limit your player's creativity.

After 13 pages, I can't remember who originally wrote it at this point but Dwarf of Action is going to be part of my next PC name. Officially. And thank you, whoever you are, for that because I can visualize the spit takes now as I introduce him. And I am going to emphasize it constantly, and in complete mock-seriousness. It shall be made of awesome...

His full name might be Jack McHammer: Dwarf of Action. Or maybe just MacHammer. An engineer and Dwarf of ActionOne name only...

Or perhaps Duncan Knuckles: Dwarf of Action.

Whatever it is, it's going to be a riot.

Lanliss

Explorer
After 13 pages, I can't remember who originally wrote it at this point but Dwarf of Action is going to be part of my next PC name. Officially. And thank you, whoever you are, for that because I can visualize the spit takes now as I introduce him. And I am going to emphasize it constantly, and in complete mock-seriousness. It shall be made of awesome...

His full name might be Jack McHammer: Dwarf of Action. Or maybe just MacHammer. An engineer and Dwarf of ActionOne name only...

Or perhaps Duncan Knuckles: Dwarf of Action.

Whatever it is, it's going to be a riot.

Hurly Hardswallow
Buff Branigan
Colt Coldhammer
Duke Dolbrand
Axel Amous
Zeamus Zorl
Korl Krod
Lorpin Lunge
Progile Porponeus
Frod Forgehammer
Wompus Wild

Pickles III

First Post
[13][/13]

He's more of a healing Kit.

:) badum tshh

I feel I may be missing something here as Kit is a real name ?

Anyway I have not read all this. I do not really like silly names though I have partaken in the past.

My naming tips are to make sure a name shortens to something unobjectionable (to you the player).

If it is an unfamiliar word or made up make sure it does not sound similar to something else or you will be known as the something else.

zicar

First Post
I prefer short and sweet:
Badger: gnome barbarian (playtest)
Flint: dwarf war cleric (playtest)
Boone: human ranger (tyranny of dragons)
Wyatt: human double hand crossbow fighter (PotA)
Rowan: elf paladin (curse of strahd #1)
Jericho: human cleric (curse of strahd #2)
Nikolai: human undying warlock (curse of strahd #3)
Guderian: dwarf ranger (storm king's thunder)
Dante: tielfling bard/warlock (homebrew)
Rook: half-elf eldritch knight (homebrew)
Sage: human druid/cleric (homebrew)
Alden: half-elf druid (homebrew)
Gyro: gnome artificer (homebrew)
Invictus: tiefling warlock (homebrew)
Talon: shifter barbarian (4e)

Remove ads