• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you need more dice?

hutchback

Explorer
My wife and I dropped into our local and much beloved game shop to browse for some new tabletop games, looking to perhaps add one to our collection.

While there I was checking out their collection of dice sets. You see I have just recently re-embraced the world of rpgs (specifically dnd 4e) after nearly 15 years away from the hobby. My wife a has met this newfound interest of mine with a great deal of grace, patience and questions. Lots and lots of questions.

I grabbed a set of Chessex Speckled Poly Silver Volcano dice and declared my intention to purchase said dice.

My wife immediately asked me "Do you need more dice?" Now mind you she was not baiting me with this question. She was not implying an obvious answer of "No, in fact this entire store doesn't sell anything I NEED." She was honestly asking if extra dice were necessary to play.

Frankly I was caught flat-footed by this question. I have always thought of dice as a gamer's guilty pleasure. I personally just felt that they were spiffy looking, and just the sort of thing I needed to remedy that strange sense of inadequacy that one feels when one wields the least amount of dice at the game table.

Unable to postulate a response more eloquent than "I want, I want!" I look to you all and ask "Does having more dice improve/enhance your gaming experience?"

Oh and I did in fact buy the dice :D

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
It's a collector thing, I think. A lot of us RPGers are also compulsive collectors. My wife and I are both amateur dice connaisseurs, with a couple of dice bags full each. Oh, and the dice bags are custom made. ;)

Plus, they make great stocking stuffers! :D

weem

First Post
Hehe, nice.

I don't NEED dice, but I like having a lot of extras as I tend to hand them out. Someone says, "oh those are cool" I say, "Cool, you can have em... and here is a crown royal bad to go with em" etc.

I have 3 sets of dice that are mine - that I use - and then a lot extra beyond that I have around for those kinds of situations.

For my last campaign before we started I bought a new set of dice for each player based on the class they were playing. I forgot exactly what kind they were, but they had a swirl of two colors...

Ranger = Green/Brown (very nature-like - outdoorsy etc)

Wizard = Blue/Purple (common magic effect colors - looked like magical clouds)

Fighter = Purple/Silver (very regal - royal looking as he was from a family of warriors)

Cleric = Black/Blue (no idea really - but I imagined it as the colors of his diety)

hutchback

Explorer
Oh, and the dice bags are custom made. ;)

Funny you should mention that because, I just asked my wife to make me one. Have you made a custom bag that you feel is particularly awesome? What made it so?

Of course now Weem has got me thinking I have a great excuse to polish off some Crown Royal!

weem

First Post
Of course now Weem has got me thinking I have a great excuse to polish off some Crown Royal!

Or you could go to the Crown Royal site - they do custom embroidering on those bags - Mine says...

The WEEM
This is how I roll

Cheesy yes, but... it's a dice bag... ;)

t_catt11

First Post
Need more dice? Strictly speaking, I suppose not. One could theoretically share the dice of others at the table, for that matter.

That being said, a nice assortment of dice really adds to my personal enjoyment.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I don't understand the question. I keep reading and reading it over and over again, but there's something about it that my brain refuses to accept. It has something to do with dice, right? Mmmmmm. Dice.

:D

Filcher

First Post
I think the distinction that I make (and maybe others) is that the dice aren't like normal "semi-random number generators." They move, in my mind, from general tools to tools with a specific purpose. My 10 dice I use exclusively for L5F, my emerald d20 I use for running 4e games, my smoke d20 I use for second attacks, etc, etc, etc.

A d6 with pips from the old Monopoly box will NOT get the job done in CoC when what I really need are those glow in the dark, illegible cthulhu dice.

mearlus

Explorer
Long ago I started collecting dice at Gen Con. It was just one of those things when I was a teenager that I could easily afford and use as an item I would remember getting every year at Gen Con.

I hadn't been to Gen Con since they left Milwaukee until this past year. I told my wife that I needed a new set of dice so I was going to Gen Con. ;)

Needless to say I bought too many dice now that I have a larger disposable income than I did as a teen. I chalk it up to withdrawal for missing the previous 6 years so I had to catch up. She still has no idea how much I actually spent on the dice (and she'll never find out...hehehe).

But yeah, a gamers collection item.

It's also fun to say "Let me go get my big sack of dice!" when someone needs to borrow a few and see the reaction. :)

Remove ads