• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you need more dice?

Treebore

First Post
I finally quit buying dice when I realized I had over 1500 of them. I was clean for over a year, then I went to a gaming convention and realized I forgot my dice bag. I bought a "grab bag" of over 100 dice for $18, then I won a raffle in which I won 4 nice sets of dice, plus a bunch of Midnight Syndicate CD's, which is what I really wanted. So now I have over 1700 dice and have been "clean" since July.

Dausuul

Legend
Well, you need a certain number of dice to play. The number and type of dice depend largely on what game/edition you're playing, what character type, and what power level. A mid-level AD&D wizard, for instance, needs a boatload of d6's. A White Wolf character calls for roughly five billion d10's. Pretty much any D&D character needs a couple of d20s, and a 4E character with area attacks needs 4 or 5.

(You can get by with less, but it takes longer since you have to roll the same die several times instead of rolling a bunch of dice once.)

That said, it's mostly a collector thing. Gamers with dice are like dragons with treasure. Dice are pretty and sparkly and it's deeply satisfying to have them in great quantity.

fjw70

Adventurer
I don't need anymore dice, but I will buy them if I want them.

I have recently got back into D&D/RPGs after a 20 break. The one gaming thing I kept during those 20 years was my bag of dice (including my original red box basic and blue box expert set dice). Since being back into it the only dice I have bought individually (I have got some dice as part of a larger product -- i.e. boxed sets) were d4 crystal dice (I hate the treditional d4s).

GlassJaw

Hero
You always need a backup set or two when some of your dice decide not to behave any given night.

It's also good to have extras so your dice realize they are expendable and can be replaced at any time (and thrown at high velocity across the room). That way they'll always perform to the best of their ability.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
My Girlfriend fishing for gift ideas and asked me if I needed more dice...

I was struck by the same thoughts of well, I guess don't need more dice but but the bag won't yet kill the cat if I drop it, so I it's not heavy enough yet.

EDIT: I'll throw in here, she's got a collection of marbles that's threatening to consume the whole house, so she understands the need for dice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads