• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you own a set of "crystal" dice?

Do you own a set of crystal dice? Check all applicable......

• What the heck are you talking about?

Votes: 46 14.3%
  • Yes!

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • Yes, but I never use them 'cuz they suck!

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • Yes, I actually own MORE THAN ONE set! THEY RULE!

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • No!

Votes: 94 29.3%
  • No, and I don't want to! THEY SUCK!

Votes: 47 14.6%
  • No, but I'd like to!

Votes: 36 11.2%
  • Not a whole set, but I do have individual crystal dice.

Votes: 61 19.0%
  • Geez, those 'crystal' d20s really blow, huh?

Votes: 45 14.0%

Psychic Warrior

First Post
I have a few of them but they are possibly the worst rolling dice I have ever seen. When you can get them to stop rolling without hitting something that is.

Terrible design.

And for the record when you say 'crystal dice' I think of these

http://www.advancinghordes.com/product_info.php/products_id/146

Although i guess they are more often called 'gem dice'. I still have the first d20 I bought from gamescience over 20 years ago and it looks the same as the day I bought it.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
I own 2 d10's. I like them, and I set them out on the table every game session...but when I need a d10, I seem to never grab them. Oh, well--they still look cool and they add to the ambiance of the gaming table, so I will continue to put them out. :)

Krieg

First Post
I like the idea of Crystal Caste's new dice shapes, but in practice they are just more of a hassle than they are worth.

The D4 really annoys me. Instead of a four sided log Crystal Caste should have gone with a more pleasing shape.

If you look at the photo below the sour cream package is the shape I think they should have gone with. It's a bit hard to see but it is the best I could find. Essentially it is two triangles, each split open into a V, then rotated so that the open ends mesh together...

wendyspotato.jpg

Edit:

OK I did some poking and found a slightly better pic:

rods_sour_cream.jpg

Last edited:

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Greylock said:
Anyone care to explain why they are so awful? I have no experience with them, but the opinions seem mighty one-sided.

Difficult to find the right die as they all look so similar. ROlling habits that will make you pull you hair out (they keep going and going and going...) and poorly 'balanced'. That is one or two numbers will come up far more often than any others. I have personally done this (using test roll pools of about 100 rolls per die - why yes i do have a lot of time on my hands;) ) and have seen sources that have done it as well and they are consistantly off-balance.

Also just look at them! They are the ugliest things in dice! :p

Last edited:

Davelozzi

Explorer
That's an awful lot of options for a yes or no poll. How many ways do we need to express our dislike? As for me, I'v never really used them, and don't particularly care to, but they don't upset me.

Volaran

First Post
I own two sets, but I don't generally use them in games. I like strange dice, so I have large, small, oddly shaped, unusual materials. So as someone who collects dice, I've quite enjoyed them.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I own several of the 4 sided die, a couple of the six sided, and two of the 20 sided.

I prefer to use the 4-sided from this group as opposed to the traditional pyramid die. The six sideds I use the traditional cube. but some times when I want to throw my players off I use the crystal caste dice.

The 20 sided crystal caste dice suck. They just keep rolling and rolling and rolling...Needlesss to say they almost never get used at my table.

Mercule

Adventurer
I picked up a d4 when I was in another city, because I liked the look of 'em. The only thing that kept me from getting a whole set was that the store didn't have any d20. I actually really like my d4 and it doesn't seem weighted. I'd love to get my hands on a whole set, and maybe an extra d4.

Remove ads