• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 255 53.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 224 46.8%

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah, but that's only because you just want WotC to "be honest with you" and you've said many, many times and keeping saying it. You have this fascination with WotC "coming clean" and telling you exactly what you believe is going on... and if they don't, then it's just "marketing spin" or whatever other phrases you've been throwing around for the entire time One D&D has been a thing.

You KNOW what WotC is doing because you are a smart individual and can read between the lines. But you have this need to be "proven right" by having WotC saying it to you directly. You want that pat on the back. Which is... I dunno... fine, I guess... you do you... but you know you aren't going to get it because WotC has better things to do than to pat random internet people on the back with a "Yes, yes, you guessed our motives right, good for you."

So sure... it's what you want. And sure, you're going to keep saying you want it in the various 5E24 threads. That's cool. The rest of us will have to accept that. Just like you'll have to accept that you're going to constantly get people responding back questioning why you think it's such a big deal.
I want it because otherwise we are telling corporations that it's ok to lie about their motives to the public, that we don't mind being lied to (even if in just a minor way). They can sell their product effectively without claiming it's something that it isn't, whether people see through it or not. I also want it because I value honest discourse, between people and between corporations and the public. Is there something wrong with that?

Oofta

Legend
Yeah, but that's only because you just want WotC to "be honest with you" and you've said many, many times and keeping saying it. You have this fascination with WotC "coming clean" and telling you exactly what you believe is going on... and if they don't, then it's just "marketing spin" or whatever other phrases you've been throwing around for the entire time One D&D has been a thing.

You KNOW what WotC is doing because you are a smart individual and can read between the lines. But you have this need to be "proven right" by having WotC saying it to you directly. You want that pat on the back. Which is... I dunno... fine, I guess... you do you... but you know you aren't going to get it because WotC has better things to do than to pat random internet people on the back with a "Yes, yes, you guessed our motives right, good for you."

So sure... it's what you want. And sure, you're going to keep saying you want it in the various 5E24 threads. That's cool. The rest of us will have to accept that. Just like you'll have to accept that you're going to constantly get people responding back questioning why you think it's such a big deal.

Thing is, from what I can tell, is that you don't need to replace all books, just pick and choose. Most groups will probably switch to the new PHB classes, but there's no need to buy anything else. If you like the way the current classes work but think monsters could be improved you could buy the new MM. Nobody reads the DMG anyway, so why bother buying a new one? ;) Multiple people have stated that they played the UA classes with standard 2014 classes and it was not an issue.

But WOTC is not "lying" or "covering up" anything, they've clearly stated that this is more than a reprint with new covers and artwork. They're open that some things are changing, they've just chosen not to use the "edition" language.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Wotc's efforts to claim it can be both ways easy peasy by design comes with a real & quantifiable cost though. You need only look at the recent indignation about "authoritarian tables" if a GM does not allow players to individually decide or vote for what the GM allows as a group for examples of the very real downstream problems being setup for GMs a year or two down the line when the books are getting published.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Thing is, from what I can tell, is that you don't need to replace all books, just pick and choose. Most groups will probably switch to the new PHB classes, but there's no need to buy anything else. If you like the way the current classes work but think monsters could be improved you could buy the new MM. Nobody reads the DMG anyway, so why bother buying a new one? ;) Multiple people have stated that they played the UA classes with standard 2014 classes and it was not an issue.

But WOTC is not "lying" or "covering up" anything, they've clearly stated that this is more than a reprint with new covers and artwork. They're open that some things are changing, they've just chosen not to use the "edition" language.
My thoughts on this are simple. If you are a corporation, and the public asks you a question, and there isn't a legal reason why you can't answer it, you should, and you should do so honestly. Even if the answer is something like, "We're still working out our product schedule and have no release dates yet" or, "This is an edition change to a degree similar to what's been done in the past, but we're not using that term in our advertising because some people react negatively to it". Or even, "We do want you to buy the new stuff we're releasing, and expect it to replace the existing material".

I know: hopelessly naive. But it's the right thing to do.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Multiple people have stated that they played the UA classes with standard 2014 classes and it was not an issue.
Not saying it is but it could be selection bias. The tables most likely to allow that are also most likely not as worried about class balance and also the ones least likely to min max a lot.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's still not quite what we've been discussing though and it's still dancing around it. I'll quote the meat & potatoes of 506 to brush away the flowery wording and efforts to villainize the dm not allowing literally anything as some sort of "authoritarian table" though "Metaphors aside, it's entirely on the DM to present a rationale why they're excluding either book". Calling a refusal to allow edition mixing without a vote between 3-5 wolves and a sheep an "authoritarian table" is quite an example of the sort of toxic entitlement I described in 514.
The DM should always be in a discussion with their players as to what rules are going to be allowed at a table. That's just social contract 101.

Your presentation of players as "wolves" is offensive.

Remove ads