D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 208 45.9%

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When you use phrases like
It sounds condescending. That, if only I was as creative as you, I too could play the game right.
Really? Again, I'm surprised that you would take it that way.

You skipped the rest of the sentence. "to come up with reasons why all sorts of D&Disms are stupid." Do you think that I'm suggesting that as some kind of creative ideal?

No, I didn't mean it that way at all. I fully respect both you and @Micah Sweet and I assume that our games aren't nearly as different as our silly arguments on here would have them sound. Internet communication is clearly difficult.

I guess I thought that I was doing a better job of it than I am.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
no there are not, because you do not know a single Vistani, this is just blatantly you making stuff up with nothing to base it on
So all the caravan masters among the Vistani are 100% pure? Where is that nugget of lore to be found? And who decided I don't know about them? According to Curse of Strahd (2016), a group of Vistani was in Daggerford in the late 15th century DR. What if I'm from Daggerford? Can I know them then?

complete nonsense, as I said before, time for you to learn the first thing about Ravenloft
Why not? According to Curse of Strahd (2016), they're unhindered by the Mists. Doesn't sound like nonsense to me.

no, it says you know the couriers, not that strangers are also your couriers and you suddenly know them so you can use them for that. The logical interpretation is that the Vistani are not people you can use to send message to your contact
So there are no Vistani couriers?

Hriston

Which raises the yet-undiscussed element of in-game time, and how long it takes these messages to get where they're going.

Easy to imagine a situation where a PC sends a message on Day 1; the message arrives via circuitous routes on Day 27, meanwhile the PCs finished the adventure on Day 12 and have been home since Day 15. Confusing for the eventual message recipient... :)
Sure, but are you saying this is a problem? Seems on par for interplanar travel.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Because...it's a cube. One side's as good as another IMO.
We don't really know if that's true though. It may be that the pseudopods it uses to inch along can only be extended on it's ventral side. It's a fantastic creature that only works via magic.

But I'm pretty confident this topic has come up before and I had this same argument then, lol. It's pretty easy to get caught up in these sorts of discussions, I mean, I don't think a cube-shaped gelatinous mass should be able to jump, but by the rules it has a Strength of 14 and a speed of 15, so it can totally make a running long jump and clear 14'!

Hriston

@Hriston is claiming that since the vistani can pass through the mists to outside of ravenloft, that therefore the feature has justification to work as one of them COULD technically be your guild contact.
Not a "guild contact" per se, but more like someone who can carry a message for you.

Hriston

Light yes, and 99 out of 100 campaigns will work in everyone’s games with no issues.

We are talking 1% or less of campaigns where they can create a fictional issue. In those instances there’s 2 camps - either let the fiction win and place a minor exception on the ability or let the mechanics win and place some implausible but possible fiction.

Which solution you prefer depends on a great number of apriors you might hold.
Well, @UngeheuerLich made it sound like they didn't fit every campaign because they were "big circumstantial abilities" and that light abilities would always fit. It sounds like you agree the background features are light.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You can always find a reason to make stuff like that work. The problem as I see it is a design philosophy that demands you find that reason.
How is that a bad thing? Get the player involved in coming up with a fun reason that works with their character and (if necessary) the world. No biggie.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well, @UngeheuerLich made it sound like they didn't fit every campaign because they were "big circumstantial abilities" and that light abilities would always fit. It sounds like you agree the background features are light.
Light to me implies little overall impact. They could be light due to being circumstantial or light due to really small all the time bonus.

But yea. Looks like we were all meaning something different there.

Remove ads