Do You Play in AL?

Do You Play in AL?

jasper

Rotten DM
yes. Almost every Friday night at the game store I Dm. On Sunday I been playing Ravenloft. And I will be at DragonCon doing D&D on Demand.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I picked yes, but my answer is more like "it's complicated".

There is a dedicated play-per-seat gaming space near me. Loads of minis and other things for free usage, all foods and drinks $1. They only "product" they offer are things like "I forgot my dice, let me pick up a set" - really minimal.

They vet DMs and players and keep it a clean, friendly place to play. Even have a full Fantasy Grounds setup on a big TV if part of your group is remote or you just want it to handle the mechanics. Multiple rooms, and sound baffles for the rooms with more than one table.

They have their own shared world that they do in seasons. Each DM has a different geographic region and runs ~10(?)-part adventures. But the backstory behind the chosen (the PCs) allows them to easily swap locations, so you can run with whatever groups you want and switch up easily. They run this with AL rules, but not official AL.

One Wednesday nights they also run the current season's hardback's. Again, following AL rules but they don't actually run official AL as in doing any paperwork or certificates or anything that anyone outside there would recognize.

Also, it's more "I'm complicated" in that I've just started at a new home game but I'm not in the current season at N&N. So I extrapolated a little.

KenNYC

Explorer
I used to DM AL at a shop and the best usage of it is maybe to introduce gamers to gamers so they can go form their own campaigns. The material in AL is intentionally mundane and vanilla so as to be accessible to literally anyone who walks in off the street. I DMed the entire Curse Of Strahd AL series and our local group decided to quit before the last session because it was always more of the same. Two years later the entire group now meets every sunday at one of their homes for a homebrew campaign.

My friend put it this way: "you only need one spell..locate object"

Never played 5e AL, but I played the hell out of Living Greyhawk.

But, yeah, once you get a regular group of 4 to 6 regulars who get along, it makes much more sense to just form a home game.
AL seems like a way to get the ball rolling if just starting, or for people with irregular schedules, or people who just can’t maintain a seat in home games.

darjr

I crit!
I have so many friends that game that I couldn’t do a home game and include everyone. I run my AL game out of the hardback like a home game with the AL rules like a set of hombrew rules added in.

One of the biggest hooks for AL for me are the epics. The first one I organized had 12 full tables and the hotel eventually had to ask us to stop all the cheering.

And so many character moments spread out over so many games with other DMs and friends, for me and most folks here it truly is like a large shared campaign.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I'm another "it's complicated," although the simpler answer is "no."

I've played official AL once. Probably would more, except that there are no AL options anywhere close to me. (I was on vacation the one time I played) Last summer I started up an AL-style option at my local library; it's not official AL, there are some house rules, etc. But it was designed to be a "drop-in" game that wouldn't be disrupted if the party composition was different each week. The first several months we used AL modules from the SKT season for most of the sessions. Then we transitioned to the TOA hardback, mostly because there weren't going to be enough TOA AL modules and the only other season that offered mostly 2 hour modules was Ravenloft, which I have no interest in running.

Shiroiken

Legend
The last time I did organized play was during the 5E playtest. I ran a couple of Encounters games, including an awesome Murder in Baulder's Gate. Once they started charging the DMs to buy the material to run, I decided I would never do it again. DMs are volunteering their time and effort, potentially bringing new players to the game, and WotC wants to charge them. :rant:

Anyway, I've seldom been a fan of organized play. There are often too many restrictions on the DM, limiting what kind of game they can run. As a player, I often found myself dealing with at least one a-hole in each group, because OP generally must allow all types of players (even edgelords who find murder the solution to every problem).

I would much rather play with a regular group, and VTT like Roll20 make it possible to play even after moving.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I used to. Met some awesome people and poached a couple of them for my home game.

Now that store is closed and there's no participating locations nearby. Which is fine, since I don't have the time anyway.

Remove ads