Do You Prefer 4 Or More Players (+ DM) When RPGing?

Do You Prefer 4 Or More Players (+ DM) When RPGing?

• Yes

Votes: 242 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 64 20.9%

Troll Wizard

First Post
After 25+ years of DMing I find my minimum is 3 players (and running 2 PCs each) or 6 players (1 PC each) mine maximum. I run a "realistic" (about as real as a fantasy game can get) and pretty lethal worlds. While it my be months between a PC's death, it does happen and multiple PC deaths in a single session (though rare) does occur.

delericho

Legend
Depends on the game.

For 4e, I would prefer the standard 5.

For 3e, I would vastly prefer at least 4, so the four basic roles can be filled. 6 would be better. (Although with 3e, I'm not hugely averse to some players running 2 PCs - we've done that before with some success.)

For many other games, it doesn't matter so much. Indeed, with the likes of Vampire, 3 or fewer players seems to work better than more.

IMO, of course.

knightofround

First Post
I've done 11 before and it was actually one of my better campaigns. However it requires a much different DMing style, as you need to delegate many of the DM duties to the PCs.

I rarely had all 11 PCs together at the same time; they went out on missions and the people who didn't make the cut became basically assistant-DMs, and would RP/play my NPCs for me and handle rules stuff, so I could stay focused on story and description.

I DMed for two people once, and it felt weird. I think with smaller groups you need higher-quality players. The nice thing about larger groups is that you can include more people, and if one person isn't making the game fun....well, its more diluted.

I think 5-6 is optimum for most campaigns.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I find 4 is actually the perfect number. 3 and 5 work too. I probably would have trouble with six or more. I have done one and two before -- the one-on-one campaigns I've done were actually pretty fun, but two was often a bit weird feeling for some reason.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I prefer either 1 player (+1 DM), or 4 to 5 players (+1 DM). 5 players allows for one player to flake out each week, and still leave enough players for a good game session. With 4 players it's tougher to account for real life's intrusions. :)

ccs

41st lv DM
I prefer 4-6.
Though I can handle up to 7 easily enough & our Sunday game bounces between 3-4 (depends on 1 work schedule & another players current health situation. About 1/2 our sessions are missing one of them)

Remove ads