D&D 5E Do You Prefer Sandbox or Party Level Areas In Your Game World?

So these are two approaches that campaigns can (and do) use. They have various names, but I'm using these names. I've used both approaches in the past. Obviously there is more nuance than the definitions below, but these are two possible extreme ends of the poll when voting feel free to choose whichever end you tend towards, or embellish in the comments. Sandbox -- each area on the world...

Sandbox or party?

• Sandbox

Votes: 152 67.0%
  • Party

Votes: 75 33.0%

So these are two approaches that campaigns can (and do) use. They have various names, but I'm using these names. I've used both approaches in the past.

Obviously there is more nuance than the definitions below, but these are two possible extreme ends of the poll when voting feel free to choose whichever end you tend towards, or embellish in the comments.

40651CFE-C7E4-45D5-863C-6F54A9B05F25.jpeg

Sandbox -- each area on the world map has a set difficulty, and if you're a low level party and wander into a dangerous area, you're in trouble. The Shire is low level, Moria is high level. Those are 'absolute' values and aren't dependent on who's traveling through.

Party -- adventurers encounter challenges appropriate to their level wherever they are on the map. A low level party in Moria just meets a few goblins. A high level party meets a balrog!

Which do you prefer?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Truth. I've never played in or ran a game where the DM threw out encounters of completely arbitrary challenge level compared to the party the entire campaign, which is what you would get if you were really running a "sandbox," as per the OP. The reality is that people that think they run "sandbox" might allow the group the encounter super high level monsters in certain circumstances but a lot of the time they try to make encounters that are somewhat reasonable for the party.
Running a true sandbox is VERY hard, TBH, and requires buy-in by the players. shrug

It would result in adventures that never get played (too hard so the PCs don't do it and when they could, the story line has already played out).

It would result in insanely easy adventures (story arcs which are way too easy for the PCs) and become boring.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I think my method is sandbox but I’m not sure.

If the low level party ventures to Moria they have encounters along the way with badness (say some nasty lake monster, or a winter wolf leading some worgs) that should turn them back. Then upon entering they first meet some goblins and get foreshadowing of a groups of trolls and demons, then they meet maybe some dwarf skeletons and a couple of dwarf wights and then more goblins and maybe a troll and a lesser demon, if they press on they are in trouble -

With a high level party I would tend to ignore the lesser stuff, just describe that they met and defeated or chased off some worgs, goblins and skeletons near the entrance and cut to the troll/lesser demons encounter.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

If the low level party ventures to Moria they have encounters along the way with badness (say some nasty lake monster, or a winter wolf leading some worgs) that should turn them back. Then upon entering they first meet some goblins and get foreshadowing of a groups of trolls and demons, then they meet maybe some dwarf skeletons and a couple of dwarf wights and then more goblins and maybe a troll and a lesser demon, if they press on they are in trouble -

With a high level party I would tend to ignore the lesser stuff, just describe that they met and defeated or chased off some worgs, goblins and skeletons near the entrance and cut to the troll/lesser demons encounter.
That's about the closest most DMs come IME.

Oofta

Legend

Same here. At higher levels, I don't bother running certain encounters. Either the group's reputation precedes them, the goblins take one look and skitter off into the darkness or they take out the opponents without using significant resources.

On the other hand, if a low level party really wants to go into the valley of evil dragons, I probably wouldn't bother running that either we'd just be writing up a new party. Not that it has ever happened, although valiant retreat does happen now and then.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Truth. I've never played in or ran a game where the DM threw out encounters of completely arbitrary challenge level compared to the party the entire campaign, which is what you would get if you were really running a "sandbox," as per the OP. The reality is that people that think they run "sandbox" might allow the group the encounter super high level monsters in certain circumstances but a lot of the time they try to make encounters that are somewhat reasonable for the party.

I did play in a pure sandbox once (early 80s). A friend wanted to show me I was doing it wrong. We died very quickly as it was impossible to "run away" or hide from a flying dragon on a plain terrain. It was more realistic... but not fun.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Several of the games I play don't have much of a power curve, so the distinction doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot.

In D&D, I tend towards the "Party" mode. My busy adult players don't have time to mess around, and aiming at stuff that's vaguely appropriate for them is more efficient at delivering a good experience for them.

YMMV.

MGibster

Legend
While I answered that in my heart I prefer sandbox, in practicality I use the party method most often so that's what I'll vote for. For D&D especially, I try to make sure the PCs run into challenges that are appropriate to their levels. It's one thing in Skyrim to go someplace I'm not ready for and lose a little progress. It's a lot more trouble to hit the reset button in an TTRPG.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I do not agree with this thesis. There are many more than two. A campaign does not have to be location based at all.

Do note what he said: "So these are two approaches that campaigns can (and do) use."

There is no exclusivity stated or implied. You mistakenly added that, and then disagreed with it.

Larnievc

Hero
So these are two approaches that campaigns can (and do) use. They have various names, but I'm using these names. I've used both approaches in the past.

Sandbox -- each area on the world map has a set difficulty, and if you're a low level party and wander into a dangerous area, you're in trouble. The Shire is low level, Moria is high level. Those are 'absolute' values and aren't dependent on who's traveling through.

Party -- adventurers encounter challenges appropriate to their level wherever they are on the map. A low level party in Moria just meets a few goblins. A high level party meets a balrog!

Which do you prefer?
I very much prefer a levelled approach with a definite plot to the adventure. My players hate not having a definite direction to go in and very much prefer a time line that will carry on without them.

Which do you prefer?

I like the Sandbox on the condition that the DM ensures that there is a reliable way to identify YOU ARE TOO SHORT FOR THIS RIDE other than "lmao TPK."

I usually try to do this.

Remove ads

Remove ads