Do you remember your first RPG purchase?

Gamma World. First RPG I GMed also.
1629802908895.png

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Having received the Basic Moldvay box for Christmas, I believe my first purchase was L1 The Secret of Bonehill, which turned out to be a good sandbox.

Alternatively, maybe I bought the Expert book (by itself, not the box) before L1.

Retreater

Legend
TMNT and Other Strangeness. I had to special order it from Fantasy Ltd (our local comic shop). I was probably 11 years old. I still don't know how to play it.

Wicht

Hero
I bought the Dungeons and Dragons Basic Box set in a pharmacy (might have been a gas station) with birthday money. I had been introduced to the concept at a friend's house and had been making up my own rules at home up to that point. That would have been the spring of '82 and I was 9.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
My first book was the Fiend Folio for AD&D. Though, I didn't buy that I found it at my grandparent's house, a relic from back when my uncle was a boy and played. I didn't know what it was, really. I just thought all the Russ Nicholson art was really awesome and would just look at it from time to time.

The first actual book I bought with my own money was this bad boy:
IMG_9730.jpg

I grew out of the WoD within a 2 to 3 years. But it was the 90s and the pull of angsty bois, clove cigarettes and metaplot was strong.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yes, I do remember. For Christmas 1985 I asked (and received) the Mentzer Red Box in Italian. I started playing immediately and I haven't stopped since... :D

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Vampire: The Masquerade. I had gotten tired of mooching off all of my friends' books, which I had done all through junior high and high school.

Remove ads