D&D (2024) Do you still feel that One D&D is "Compatible" with 5E?

Do you still feel that One D&D is "Compatible" with 5E?

• Yup, still compatible. No issues with bringing in 5E Druids etc

Votes: 61 71.8%
  • Nope, perhaps some similarities but yeah it's too different for 5E stuff

Votes: 24 28.2%

Li Shenron

Legend
Looking at the class changes like whats up with the Druid, do you still think it's "compatible"?

If someone shows up to your OneD&D game with a 5E Druid or Paladin or whatever, is that fine? Older classes and/or races being different and/or better....?
Not compatible between the COREs (or at least the PHBs), in the sense that playing a 5e character alongside a similar 5.5e character will almost certainly be a mechanically inferior choice, because they are clearly making all the new classes more powerful than the old at every level to boost sales. This is why I currently think it's more appropriate to call it 5.5e, as it looks like it will be a similar revision as 3.5e.

Compatible between core books and adventures, in the sense that there is no core mechanical change that should render all the adventures published before 2024 unplayable with the new core books, and probably also the opposite (playing post-2024 adventures with 2014 core books) will be possible.

Looking at the class changes like whats up with the Druid, do you still think it's "compatible"?

If someone shows up to your OneD&D game with a 5E Druid or Paladin or whatever, is that fine? Older classes and/or races being different and/or better....?
no... I think (much like 1e/2e and 3e/3.5) most tables will tell people "great idea, but here update with the new book"

and then we get the argument what compatible even means... to some it seems 3e,3.5,4e,and 5e are already 'compatible' since the stats are the same and the rolling method... for others things like status effect class features and other things make them VASTLY incompatible...

My bet is that what WotC wants (and everything I have heard leads me to believe this is it) is DM side compatibaility but player facing incompatability.

I bet 2024 we still see alot of cross over, maybe into 2025 (depending how late in 2024 the books come out) but over time everything 5e will just be "nah just upgrade...

and some of it HAS to upgrade. You can;t have 2 players hit with a level of exhaustion and it effect them differently. You can't have jump rules different at the same table. The same way you couldn't show up at 9 out of 10 (or more) 2e tables with a wizard with a 1e fireball with no level cap... or how 9 out of 10 tables wwould not let a 3.0 haste spell into 3.5.

Now I bet anything someone will try to "prove" me wrong by saying they played at a a table that did all of these things... but they are by far the minority I am sure.
HOWEVER I myself will disprove the strawman of "it CAN'T be done with a game in 3.5 that let players bring in any d20 characters and with 4 D&D characters we had a M&M superhero (a speedster) a Jedi from the saga star wars rules and a Jafar (not usre I spelled that right) with a p90 and staff weapon from stargate...
I ALSO ran a multiverse game that slowly got weirder and weirder... and I seeded what everyone thought was galactus (from marvel comics) a survivor of the last multiverse... until he showed up as a human wizard (keep in mind this is 5e) and he said that was a misunderstanding, he survived through multi multiverse deaths... and when someone hit him I said "Don't bother with damage, cause ping that's one off my stone skin" and my players flipped realizing I had taken a 2e wizard took him through 3e, 3.5,4e and now into 5e...
so it CAN be done. I had a whole 'order' of monks in that multiverse from 4e lead by a warlord as well.

mellored

Legend

I am already playing with both playtest classes and some playing 2014 classes.

So yes. It works fine. And it's easy enough to try for yourself.

*admittedly, no one wants to use this playtest Druid. But all the other classes where tried out where mostly well received.
**and i adjust the CR available to the 2014 moon Druid. So we already fixed that.

Clint_L

Hero
Not compatible between the COREs (or at least the PHBs), in the sense that playing a 5e character alongside a similar 5.5e character will almost certainly be a mechanically inferior choice, because they are clearly making all the new classes more powerful than the old at every level to boost sales.
Have you read the new playtest packet?!?

Paladins get a slight nerf. Druids are nerfed to the ground!

Remove ads