• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you still feel that One D&D is "Compatible" with 5E?

Do you still feel that One D&D is "Compatible" with 5E?

• Yup, still compatible. No issues with bringing in 5E Druids etc

Votes: 61 71.8%
  • Nope, perhaps some similarities but yeah it's too different for 5E stuff

Votes: 24 28.2%

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Still compatible, however, it's likely that when the 2024 version comes out, my groups and I will update to the 2024 versions, recreating subclasses if needed. Having said that, we use DnDbeyond, and if they don't have a way to override the spellschool restrictions for certain classes, I might skip getting the books for DnDbeyond.
That's a big part of why I feel comfortable not trying harder to like the new edition. None of us use D&D Beyond.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
That's a big part of why I feel comfortable not trying harder to like the new edition. None of us use D&D Beyond.
I mean, it isn't really a requirement to like or play the current edition, it's just a handy tool. It's actually great for sharing content with other players that can only play together online. But still, if the customisation isn't there, then I'll go back to pen and paper (or more likely google docs/sheets or onenote).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I guess you could if you want your game to be a clash of messy elements with no design care. It does not seem advisable.
Haven’t seen any issues so far.
Looking just at the most recent playtest, using the new moon druid subclass with the old druid, or vice versa, would involve meshing too incompatible systems of wildshaping, since the subclass revolves around that.
The biggest compatibility question is whether existing supplemental subclasses work with the new base classes, but even in this case where you’re for some reason mixing updated base class with non-updated subclass or the reverse, (and seriously, why!? Why on earth would you do that, outside of munchkining in some way? And if you’re munchkining you probably have the system mastery to figure it out) I’m just not convinced there is a real issue here.
And while moving the level at which features arrive by a level or two rarely matters much, so shifting around a little as a homebrew fix is not the end of the world, Paladins are shifting to getting their 3rd and 4th subclass features at 15 and 20 to getting them at 10 and 14. While the example we've seen of the Devotion Paladin is perhaps not too radically affected, it was still tweaked a bit to account for the level 20 ability being demoted from class capstone to something you could have from level 14 on, as well as replacing a level 15 ability with a level 10 ability.
Those changes aren’t really even needed, which will be my main feedback for the Paladin.
It's all doable, but I don't see subclasses from one system as out-of-the-box, readily compatible with the other system,
It’s one system, not two.
and it's kind of an unreasonable level of compatibility to ask for when the new system is standardizing subclass progression and 5e went in a very different direction.
They’re not that different.
In any case they clearly are not building around the idea of intercompatible subclasses. I feel like the standardized subclass leveling was introduced in part just to signal to people not to expect that level of intercompatibility.
Again, compatibility requires that either PHB works fine with all the existing supplements and adventures, not that the two PHBs work together.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Mostly the current templates, but I don't think the templates are necessary at all really, and was fine with pulling statblocks.

Ok, but that parses to "the current iteration is garbage" (I believe you used that term upthread) but "not necessary" and "fine with current version" doesn't sound like actual aversion. More neutrality.

So, given that the final version is, based on history, significantly different from the playtest, isn't it possible that you would be ok with what actually gets published?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Ok, but that parses to "the current iteration is garbage" (I believe you used that term upthread) but "not necessary" and "fine with current version" doesn't sound like actual aversion. More neutrality.

So, given that the final version is, based on history, significantly different from the playtest, isn't it possible that you would be ok with what actually gets published?
It would have to be better than Level Up's druid, and I have no faith any longer in the ability of WotC to make good content. I would be quite surprised.

It’s one system, not two.
No, it's really not. Also I don't care.

Obviously its two systems. It's two systems that are probably going to be pretty easy for a savvy user to navigate between, but if you had a group of newbies and half of them had 5e PHBs and half of them had 5.5 PHBs, my prediction is that it would be a mess (even by the standards of an all newbie D&D session). The necessary hacks to make the systems compatible are pretty obvious to veteran players, but that does not make them the same system.

But whatever. I hopped on this thread to say I think the systems are highly compatible, and have got nothing but flak from OneD&D true believers for whom that isn't enough of an acknowledgement of its perfect, wondrous compatibility. Fine, whatever the two systems are 110% compatible and also one system, and also somehow less than one system because they are so perfectly compatible. I don't care. I'm not the one who's ever going to play OneD&D.

Thread unfollowed.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, it's really not. Also I don't care.

Obviously its two systems. It's two systems that are probably going to be pretty easy for a savvy user to navigate between, but if you had a group of newbies and half of them had 5e PHBs and half of them had 5.5 PHBs, my prediction is that it would be a mess (even by the standards of an all newbie D&D session). The necessary hacks to make the systems compatible are pretty obvious to veteran players, but that does not make them the same system.

But whatever. I hopped on this thread to say I think the systems are highly compatible, and have got nothing but flak from OneD&D true believers for whom that isn't enough of an acknowledgement of its perfect, wondrous compatibility. Fine, whatever the two systems are 110% compatible and also one system, and also somehow less than one system because they are so perfectly compatible. I don't care. I'm not the one who's ever going to play OneD&D.

Thread unfollowed.
Okay. I don’t really see anyone insisting that it’s perfect, but I mean…a system update isn’t a different system.

We’ve seen less than half of the playtest classes and subclasses, and some races. I’ve played a Swashbuckler with the playtest rogue, and I’ve used the original Beastmaster with the Tasha’s beast of the land on a playtest ranger. In those one shots and limited run games (2-3 sessions), I’ve had all the current playtest stuff as options, with a preference to use the updated version of anything being updated, but not a hard rule.

It’s the same system. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads