Critical Role Do you think WotC will update the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting guide?

gyor

Legend
I think that Matt already knows where Camapign 3 will take place and will be building it with a new WotC book in mind as he goes. I'm betting it is Issylra, although I hope it is Marquet. He may surprise us and set it 50 years after Vox Machina in Tal'Dorei, though.

Just out of curiousity why do you think it will be Issylra and why would you prefer Maequet?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
That would take alot of effort, I think WotC will take the easy route first, then go to Continent #3 when the next season of CR is over, when ever that happens.
The easy route is not reprint the book at all. Most of those who might want it will have already bought it.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
WotC loves being repetitive, it cuts down on how much effort they have to expend. They've reprinted stuff so many times this edition, its starting to become a predictable pattern. Reprinting is their jam, for them its a feature, not a bug.

Yeah I know you're not fond of the reprinting of races in books, but there's a big gap between a new books that reprints some races or monsters, and just redoing a book entirely. And I mean redoing a book, not just slapping two books together in one with the concept art like Tyranny of Dragons.

I'm not going to discount the notion whole-cloth, because Wizards just did a boxed set for Rick & Morty so are clearly beyond predicting now. But I don't really believe Mercer or Wizards is that interested in revisiting it.

If it's going to happen, I think it might be sometime after that new Amazon show releases (depends on how it's received).

gyor

Legend
Read up on a wiki about Issylra and Maequet and there really don't seem to be much on either one of them honestly, compared to say Wildemount or Tal'Dorei. A couple of city states and that seems to be it. Neither seems to be meaty enough for a Campaign Setting Book.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Read up on a wiki about Issylra and Maequet and there really don't seem to be much on either one of them honestly, compared to say Wildemount or Tal'Dorei. A couple of city states and that seems to be it. Neither seems to be meaty enough for a Campaign Setting Book.
That's because he hasn't written anything for them yet. There was barely any Wildemount info until Matt put the second campaign there. As they get closer to working on Campaign #3 and if he decides to set it in either of the other two continents then I'm sure more info will be written.

That's still more likely than WotC purchasing the publishing rights of the Tal'Dorai book from Green Ronin and then republishing it. That seems a pointless endeavor.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Agree with @DEFCON 1 , Issylra, Maequet and the Shattered Islands have just as much written about them in the Tal'Dorei book as Wildemount does. I see no reason why Mercer could not flesh them out more for a future campaign.

The Shattered Islands is described to have 43 islands; that's honestly more than enough material for a campaign.

The Shattered Teeth

Should someone wish to sail the dangerous waters southeast of Tal’Dorei, past the ever-present fog bank called the Fool’s Curtain, one might discover themselves adrift among a cluster of forty-three islands referred to as the Shattered Teeth.
Varying in size from small, mile-across reef-toppers to the large, city-holding islands like Ruukva, this cluster of broken lands contains two combative societies: the Ossended Host, an enormous fisherman culture of isolationism and self-empowerment through the worship of the power of dreams and nightmares, and the Wanderman Assembly, a centuries-old trade company that, upon being stranded across the Shattered Teeth after a hurricane, began a somewhat brutal capitalistic society that poorly masquerades under the banner of honor and brotherhood. This tension has led to bloodshed in recent years, and each group is paranoid the other is bent on the destruction of their way of life. What brims beneath the surface of this conflict is the nature and source of the dreams the Ossended Host have been harnessing for generations, and what that answer may mean for the struggles of the people of the Shattered Teeth.
Inspirations: From a lifestyle and architecture standpoint, the Ossended Host bears a 10th century Japanese fishing village flavor to most townships, with the Wanderman Assembly taking inspiration from 16th century British colonies in the Caribbean.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
That's still more likely than WotC purchasing the publishing rights of the Tal'Dorai book from Green Ronin and then republishing it. That seems a pointless endeavor.
I agree that it is very unlikely that WotC will republish that book, but I don't think that Green Ronin has anymore the rights to it. They've ceased to sell and distribute it, even in electronic format.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I agree that it is very unlikely that WotC will republish that book, but I don't think that Green Ronin has anymore the rights to it. They've ceased to sell and distribute it, even in electronic format.
Really? Wow, I'm glad I bought it when I did, then.

Remove ads