Do you TTRPG but don't D&D?

Do you play table top RPGs but hardly every play D&D?

• D&D is for me.

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • Not so much.

Votes: 15 29.4%

justinbot

First Post
Boarstorm said:
Off-topic, but how is Spirit of the Century?

While I have very little interest in pulp roleplaying, I'm really curious about the Dresden Files RPG that company is working up.

I like it a lot. Spirit is FATE dialed up huge for pulp games. The power levels in Dresden will be dropped a good bit. I know there is a Yahoo! group for the FATE 3rd Edition/Dresden Files rules development where they discuss the rules a lot but I can't seem to find it currently.

Arnwyn

First Post
D&D only.

(Well, not entirely true. We play D&D only for the fantasy/medieval genre, and Fuzion only for the sci-fi/futuristic genre. We are firm believers in "use the best tool" for the job, which is one (best for us) game per genre [and we're only interested in two genres]. In any case, we play the fantasy genre 95% of the time. Can I say "genre" one more time? 'Cause I can. "Genre".)

Keltheos

First Post
I use the D20 rules for Iron Kingdoms because that's what they're tied to. I just don't play D&D. Did I buy their core rulebooks for use in another game setting? Yup.

I also play Dark Heresy and Savage Worlds (rippers and solomon kane) and regularly played Shadowrun for over a decade before FASA shut down.

Where is the "none of the options fit perfectly".

The past few years, my group mostly plays D&D or one of the d20 off-shots (D&D, Dragonstar, D20 Modern, Arcana Evolved, Iron Heroes and even Pathfinder these days), but we also played a little bit of Torg, Shadowrun, Space Gothic, Das Schwarze Auge and Warhammer.

D&D was the best supported system so far (most of the members of the group don't have the time, inclination or skills to write their own adventures), and the game system itself also worked fairly well and gave tons of options.

So, maybe the first option is accurate, but we are not necessarily so much into "D&D" as the brand (with all its sacred cows, slaughtered or not ;) ), but just because the system just works for us.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Hrm. This was true of my gaming from 1998 or so until 2001. I played lots of D6 Star Wars, Legendary Lives, Shadowrun, Palladium Fantasy, Vampire: Dark Ages, Vampire: The Masquerade, and Wraith. . . but no D&D.

[Edit: Now that I think about, you can also add Alternity, Hercules & Xena, Deadlands, Deadlands: HoE, BESM 1e, and Risus to that list. Still no D&D.]

Last edited:

Terwox

First Post
Byronic said:
Isn't it a bit biased to post a poll like this on a DnD forum?

Well, no, not really. It's just asking how many people on the general forum of EN World primarily play D&D, or are playing something else.

I'm DM'ing 4E right now and loving it, but I'm also playing Wraith right now and really liking it so far.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Well, from 2000 to 2007, I played D&D more than any other game. Little bit of Shadowrun, little bit of Street Fighter, but nine games out of ten, it was D&D or some variant thereof.

Last year or so, I've been playing HARP pretty exclusively, to the point of translating settings and games I would play under other systems into HARP. (Pretty much everything I play except Street Fighter works well with this system.)

The Green Adam

First Post
Let's see...I play or have played in the last three years...

Legend of Al-Shard (Japanese TTRPG)
Mutants & Masterminds
Star Trek (LUG/ICON System)
Traveller (Classic)
When Suddenly!... (Origin Game I Designed)

Oh and a little modified D&D 3.5 just for giggles ;)

I tend to play D&D only under the most nostalgic of circumstances.

AD

Remove ads