D&D 5E Do you want your DM to fudge?

As a player, do you want your DM to fudge? (with the same answer choices as that other poll).

• Yes

Votes: 47 23.7%
  • Almost never

Votes: 77 38.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 74 37.4%

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
What are you going to do? Audit the DM's notes and monster stats? You're on the other side of the screen, and you have no idea what's going on on the DM's side. That's why the DM is the dungeon master, and you only pick someone you trust to run a good game, and whose rulings you're willing to follow.
What am I going to do? I'm going to only let someone DM for me if they are open to my input on the topics of what kinds of stories and scenarios I enjoy, what rules I'd like to play by, and when/how a DM should fudge.

What I am not going to do is sit at a table with a DM that exudes the attitude that some posters here seem to where-in because I am a player I am suppose to sit at the table and trust the DM to know how to run a game I'll enjoy without ever telling the DM what I'm into.

The players do not share dungeon master responsibilities and do not help adjudicate the game.
Here's an interesting thought: The players can share the "responsibilities" and help adjudicate the game, and fun can be had while doing so - some systems are even based around that idea.

Presumably because they have talked about it, yes? You aren't doing like others have done and insisting that the DM gets familiar with a group and gains a good idea of the preferences of the players without ever actually asking the players, are you?

See Halivar's response above. But yeah over the years we've discussed almost every aspect of RPGs in my main group, and four of have been DMs. I know no-one objects to fudging. If one person did, though, they'd be the odd one out, so would need to adjust their expectations.

That said with 4E and DW I've barely had to fudge - it was 2E AD&D which was the focus of fudging. 5E is second-least fudge-needing D&D after 4E, imho.

Not exactly. I've interpreted the reason why you would make a factual statement in a context that it is irrelevant.

Which is both a tad silly and a little rude! :) But I'll live.

Nytmare

David Jose
What am I going to do? I'm going to only let someone DM for me if they are open to my input on the topics of what kinds of stories and scenarios I enjoy, what rules I'd like to play by, and when/how a DM should fudge.

What I am not going to do is sit at a table with a DM that exudes the attitude that some posters here seem to where-in because I am a player I am suppose to sit at the table and trust the DM to know how to run a game I'll enjoy without ever telling the DM what I'm into.

*blink*

/me reads back over the last 48 pages of this thread.

Who has even said that? I sure haven't, and you putting that attitude around my neck like some sort of poo-scented garland is not cool.

Here's an interesting thought: The players can share the "responsibilities" and help adjudicate the game, and fun can be had while doing so - some systems are even based around that idea.

D&D isn't really one of those, though, and many players don't want to. So talking of actually irrelevant...

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
But yeah over the years we've discussed almost every aspect of RPGs in my main group, and four of have been DMs.
Good. Now that I am sure you aren't arguing that you know what your players like as an inherent property of being a DM, I know that you aren't actually arguing against my stance that a DM shouldn't fudge without learning their players' preferences on the matter.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Quote or it didn't happen, frankly. Who has asserted that?
You want me to quote when you did a thing which I am sure you didn't do?

I'm confused.

Your prior statements left me wondering because they appeared to be phrased as an argument against my stance, but lacking in content that actually disagreed with me. Through further exchange I confirmed, or at least I thought I did, that you weren't actually in argument with me, and I said as much.

Remove ads