• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who 2007: Utopia (Major Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

delericho

Legend
Back when they opened the rift near the end of Torchwood, the machinery they used looked an awful lot like the central column mechanism of a TARDIS. I did wonder at that point if it might actually be a TARDIS, and perhaps even the one belonging to the Master.

Or it could just look like that :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Finally got to see this show. It would have been nice to have seen it before I knew the ending, but basically I thought it was pretty great (Jacobi's acting was excellent), but there were a couple of things that bugged me:

1) Someone has already mentioned but... trucks and machine guns 100 trillion years into the future at the end of time? Just didn't fit at all. Would have been better to not have tried to set it such an unthinkable distance into the future

2) Presumably they follow the infinitely expanding universe theory rather than the big crunch theory... which is a shame, because big crunch has a lot more dramatic possibilities

The big question I was left with though - what was 'Utopia' after all? Will that be revealed in Ep13?

sniffles

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Finally got to see this show. It would have been nice to have seen it before I knew the ending, but basically I thought it was pretty great (Jacobi's acting was excellent), but there were a couple of things that bugged me:

1) Someone has already mentioned but... trucks and machine guns 100 trillion years into the future at the end of time? Just didn't fit at all. Would have been better to not have tried to set it such an unthinkable distance into the future

2) Presumably they follow the infinitely expanding universe theory rather than the big crunch theory... which is a shame, because big crunch has a lot more dramatic possibilities

The big question I was left with though - what was 'Utopia' after all? Will that be revealed in Ep13?
Well the Doctor does remark at one point that humans keep coming back to their original physical form, so perhaps human culture and technology keep restarting and evolving all over again. At least that's the impression they've given me based on the other episodes set in the distant future.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a quick request to the Americans - please take a moment to say thank you to me and the other UKers for the portion of the BBC license fee you're kindly "spending".

You're very welcome, and I'll think of you next month when the direct debit goes out. I very much enjoy paying my part of your free entertainment.

Or - more to the point - if your're pirating stuff, please do NOT advertise it on EN World. This isn't the place for it - take it to CM if you must.

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
Morrus said:
Just a quick request to the Americans - please take a moment to say thank you to me and the other UKers for the portion of the BBC license fee you're kindly "spending".

You're very welcome, and I'll think of you next month when the direct debit goes out. I very much enjoy paying my part of your free entertainment.

Or - more to the point - if your're pirating stuff, please do NOT advertise it on EN World. This isn't the place for it - take it to CM if you must.
I assume you'll post something similar in the Sopranos thread, which I pay for with my HBO subscription. And the Battlestar Galactica thread. And all the other American shows that are either not shown in the UK, or are shown much later, but yet are somehow discussed by Brits here as they're broadcast in the US.

Volaran

First Post
I feel somewhat envious. The CBC is listed as a partner on the show credits, so my tax dollars _are_ helping to finance it, but we still don't get it first run. ;) I'm glad series 3 has finally started here in Canada through. Series 2 took quite a bit longer.

Still, thanks to Morrus and the brits on the board. Without them, there would be no Doctor Who at all.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
2) Presumably they follow the infinitely expanding universe theory rather than the big crunch theory... which is a shame, because big crunch has a lot more dramatic possibilities...
Yes, but not as many as the big rip theory, which rocketh on toast :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fast Learner said:
I assume you'll post something similar in the Sopranos thread, which I pay for with my HBO subscription. And the Battlestar Galactica thread. And all the other American shows that are either not shown in the UK, or are shown much later, but yet are somehow discussed by Brits here as they're broadcast in the US.

I haven't watch BSG since the first season, and haven't seen the end of the Sopranos. And yes, you are correct, advertising the fact that you pirate stuff is a no-no on ENW wherever you're from.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Morrus said:
I haven't watch BSG since the first season, and haven't seen the end of the Sopranos. And yes, you are correct, advertising the fact that you pirate stuff is a no-no on ENW wherever you're from.

You may not be aware of it, but there are places in North America where the BBC is available as a paid specialty channel, either via cable or satellite hook-up. Here in Canada, that's the only way to get some of the American channels as well.

EDIT: It should also be noted that, right now anyway, and to the best of my knowledge, Canadian copyright laws allow some forms of file sharing. The point is that there shouldn't be an automatic assumption of criminal behaviour.

RC

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Raven Crowking said:
You may not be aware of it, but there are places in North America where the BBC is available as a paid specialty channel, either via cable or satellite hook-up. Here in Canada, that's the only way to get some of the American channels as well.

EDIT: It should also be noted that, right now anyway, and to the best of my knowledge, Canadian copyright laws allow some forms of file sharing. The point is that there shouldn't be an automatic assumption of criminal behaviour.

RC

If you have issues with the moderation here, please take it up by email. That is, and has always been, the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads