Doctor Who teaser (launch Oct 31st)

GreyLord

Legend
o_O Get out. The show was at it's height during the Tom Baker era.
Well, that seems accurate.

The all time highest viewed episode seems to be with the 4th doctor City of Death 4th episode with 16.1 viewers.

Right behind was part 3 with 15.4 million viewers

Destiny of the Daleks had 14.4 million viewers

In fact, the 4th doctor seems to have consistently brought in over 10 million viewers and often between 12 to 13 million viewers though occasionally it fell to 8 million and his last season seems to have an average of 5-6 million viewers (and that explains the real reason why they shifted to getting a new doctor probably, though it was a temporary fix where he had around 9 million viewers on average his first season and around 7-8 million on average the following seasons).

The highest viewed of the New Who is under Tennant with a Christmas Special with 13.3 million viewers. Most of those in the top 25 which have over 10 million also have Tennant in them, though there is one of those with Matt Smith in it as well (take a guess which one).

Tennant seems to be the high water mark for the New Who averaging between 7.5 - 8 million veiwers on average during his seasons. Matt Smith is close, but averages around 7.5 to 7.75 million viewers on average.

One major surprise....the first season of the 13th doctor (the 11th series) actually has the MOST average viewers since Tennant's high water mark, at 7.96 million viewers on average. It has fallen since then but was interesting to see.

It also appears that when a new doctor comes around, the viewership jumps up (at least for a season) on average (with the exception of the 6th doctor), so in the next series (series 14) if the stories are true and the 13th doctor is leaving the show and a new one comes on, I expect the numbers to jump up again at least a little bit for the 14th doctor.

For the average numbers I took them from this source...

Wikipedia Doctor Who episodes

Well, that seems accurate.

The all time highest viewed episode seems to be with the 4th doctor City of Death 4th episode with 16.1 viewers.

Right behind was part 3 with 15.4 million viewers

Destiny of the Daleks had 14.4 million viewers

In fact, the 4th doctor seems to have consistently brought in over 10 million viewers and often between 12 to 13 million viewers though occasionally it fell to 8 million and his last season seems to have an average of 5-6 million viewers (and that explains the real reason why they shifted to getting a new doctor probably, though it was a temporary fix where he had around 9 million viewers on average his first season and around 7-8 million on average the following seasons).

The highest viewed of the New Who is under Tennant with a Christmas Special with 13.3 million viewers. Most of those in the top 25 which have over 10 million also have Tennant in them, though there is one of those with Matt Smith in it as well (take a guess which one).

Tennant seems to be the high water mark for the New Who averaging between 7.5 - 8 million veiwers on average during his seasons. Matt Smith is close, but averages around 7.5 to 7.75 million viewers on average.

One major surprise....the first season of the 13th doctor (the 11th series) actually has the MOST average viewers since Tennant's high water mark, at 7.96 million viewers on average. It has fallen since then but was interesting to see.

It also appears that when a new doctor comes around, the viewership jumps up (at least for a season) on average (with the exception of the 6th doctor), so in the next series (series 14) if the stories are true and the 13th doctor is leaving the show and a new one comes on, I expect the numbers to jump up again at least a little bit for the 14th doctor.

For the average numbers I took them from this source...

Wikipedia Doctor Who episodes
Right new who. Baker was clearly the most popular. Guess I was wrong . Always felt merchandise for new who was at its height during smith

There were also only 3 channels available then. It's never going to get figures like that again. Nothing does.
There were actually only two channels on when City of Death and Destiny of the Daleks went out. ITV had a technicians strikes in late summer/early autumn 1979 so ITV were off the air for around two months. 1979 ratings and 2021 live ratings simply aren't going to be comparable because they are totally different environments except for things like high profile live sporting events.

Zardnaar

Legend
There were actually only two channels on when City of Death and Destiny of the Daleks went out. ITV had a technicians strikes in late summer/early autumn 1979 so ITV were off the air for around two months. 1979 ratings and 2021 live ratings simply aren't going to be comparable because they are totally different environments except for things like high profile live sporting events.
This check out the series final of MASH.

I would only compare recent seasons of nu who for ratings. Even Tennant's era is probably to long ago.

Herschel

Adventurer
I rather enjoyed Flux, even though commercial breaks wedged in here are really jarring. It took a number of chances and hit on most and the supporting characters were good. I wasn't sure I'd like going (way) back to the serial approach, but I think that's Chibnall's wheelhouse with this and Broadchurch being my favorites of his writing.

I rather enjoyed Flux, even though commercial breaks wedged in here are really jarring. It took a number of chances and hit on most and the supporting characters were good. I wasn't sure I'd like going (way) back to the serial approach, but I think that's Chibnall's wheelhouse with this and Broadchurch being my favorites of his writing.
I enjoyed it, but I felt it was for hardcore SF fans and the steaming market, not the "family viewing" audience which Doctor Who was traditionally aimed at. I can see both pre-teens and grannies being lost by the complex plot and deep-cut lore callbacks, not to mention the music drowning out the dialogue. It was watching Doctor Who from about 5 years old that got me into science fiction/fantasy/horror in the first place.

Remove ads