• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a limb provoke/take an AOO?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I actually think that gamebalance requires the ability to take an AoO on a creature's limbs.

Consider that for most large or huge creatures, and especially for those who are unsneakattackable and who have low dexterity scores, it's already a no-brainer to grapple whenever possible. When you grapple a fighter-type, you deny them the use of their big weaponry, and you gain +5 to your attack rolls, and generally you make it impossible for them to do anything useful.

The one problem with grappling for them is the attack of opportunity that a grapple attempt provokes. But most large/huge creatures have reach, so they can avoid that AoO just by attacking from 10' away, making it even worse.

I definitely allow that AoO, in order to make grappling a marginally less no-brianer attack for large/huge creatures.

Daniel

Corsair

First Post
Pielorinho said:
The one problem with grappling for them is the attack of opportunity that a grapple attempt provokes. But most large/huge creatures have reach, so they can avoid that AoO just by attacking from 10' away, making it even worse.

On the other hand, I would say this just means that when it comes to fighting huge creatures, its a no-brainer to just STAY THE HECK OUT OF THEIR REACH. I mean honestly, if your fighter walks up to a purple worm to hit it with a pointy stick, he should EXPECT to get eaten.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Corsair said:
On the other hand, I would say this just means that when it comes to fighting huge creatures, its a no-brainer to just STAY THE HECK OUT OF THEIR REACH. I mean honestly, if your fighter walks up to a purple worm to hit it with a pointy stick, he should EXPECT to get eaten.
The problem with that is that melee fighters still end up being screwed in a lot of higher-level battles. Besides, the image of the warrior heroically duking it out with the gigantic monster is a staple of the genre, and I don't want to lose it.

Daniel

Infiniti2000

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Doesn't this sort of back-door called shots, then?

I mean ... not that WotC hasn't already done that with the whole "sunder the hydra" gig.

Can I ready an action to strike a Large Monk when he strikes me from 10' away?
I'm not sure what you mean because WotC specifically said you can't do this. So, how is that back-dooring called shots?

Corsair

First Post
Pielorinho said:
The problem with that is that melee fighters still end up being screwed in a lot of higher-level battles. Besides, the image of the warrior heroically duking it out with the gigantic monster is a staple of the genre, and I don't want to lose it.

Daniel

I've always felt that a lot of things which are considered "staples" are pretty silly. This is one of them.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Corsair said:
I've always felt that a lot of things which are considered "staples" are pretty silly. This is one of them.
Pretty much everything considered a staple of the sword-and-sorcery genre is pretty silly. The difference is, I love silly :).

Daniel

dcollins

Explorer
You only get an AOO if the enemy is in your threatened range. That means where the enemy is standing, per miniature position on the board (not limbs or weapons sticking out of that space). From the 3.5 FAQ, p. 29:

If an enemy makes an attack against me that would
provoke an attack of opportunity (such as a disarm or
grapple attempt), do I get the attack of opportunity if I
can’t reach him? Would the Close-Quarters Fighting feat
help at all?

Strictly speaking, if you don’t threaten an enemy, you can’t
make attacks of opportunity against that enemy. Thus, if an
ogre tried to sunder your elf’s longsword from 10 feet away,
you wouldn’t get an attack of opportunity against the ogre
(since an elf wielding a longsword doesn’t threaten an enemy
10 feet away). This is true even if the ogre is reaching out with
his hand, such as when trying to grapple you...

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
dcollins said:
You only get an AOO if the enemy is in your threatened range. That means where the enemy is standing, per miniature position on the board (not limbs or weapons sticking out of that space). From the 3.5 FAQ, p. 29:
Well, as I've said before, I think that sometimes faithfulness to the rules requires interpreting them in an overall fashion rather than in a strict fashion. In this case, I think that plausibility and game-balance both demand that an AoO be allowed, FAQ be danged.

Daniel

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Oh, and dcollins, I'd appreciate your changing your .sig line, since it doesn't reflect the board's policy: we allow folks to put questions about pricing magic items in this forum, and your request will result in more work for us as we have to move threads about magic items back to this forum.

Daniel

Stalker0

Legend
Sounds like I've got my answer, but personally I think its the wrong direction. I mean its bad enough that every other monster at high levels has improved grab it seems...but now these large creatures can grapple you with impunity, or heck just disarm your weapons, why not it's easy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads