Does A Monk Actually Benefit From Taking Mobile?

Gwarok

Explorer
So in our side-game we have a party that just reached level 4 . A conquest paladin who's planing on taking sentinel, a Multiclasser (Mystic-1/Theurge Wizard-3) who has been taking a lot of control and support spells, a lore bard who is acting as another support, and my Aaracokra tranquility monk. There have been issues before with the conquest paladin, but through RP we've been working on the party conflicts.

Anyways, my stats are as follows

7-Str
20-Dex
14-Con
6-Int
17-Wis
14-Cha

(Yes we rolled and because of my pretty deece luck I put a lot of limiters on myself in the form of vows. All of them are flavor only, and so far its made me play my monk in a pretty different way than what I'm used to)

My party doesn't think there's any value in me taking the mobile feat because I'm already so fast, but I think it would be great for covering retreats and also opportunistic re-positioning due to not provoking AoO's from people. This would also allow us to catch up to a shadow monk that we've captured should she decide to attempt escape (Its a long story). They did bring up some tempting ones like observant and I like it as well. This was supposed to be a mystery type game, so either of them are good, but that got me thinking whether or not mobile was even useful.

So, what's your take on this?

Those vows if anyone was interested

Vow of the Chained
- In order to bring awareness to/take a stand against slavery I wear chains along my wrists to symbolize the suffering and the shackles placed upon them

Vow of Truth
- I am not allowed to lie, state half truths with intent to deceive, exaggerate, tell white lies etc. unless doing so would bring harm to another. if it would do so, then I must stay silent.

Vow of Poverty- I can only have 7 possessions and I can only have 7 gold set aside for myself at a time, any other gold I obtain must be given to the poor, donated to a church, or some other form of charity

Vow of Peace- I can't strike first in combat. When combat starts I can't deal damage for the first 2 rounds of combat. I must always give my opponents the option to either flee surrender or enter a civil society. if they are unable to do these things then and only then would it be acceptable for me to kill it.

Vow of Fasting- I can only eat rice or other bland/staple foods and I can only drink water. On religious holidays I may be allowed to eat a small portion of other bland, simple food to maintain proper nutrition. I also can't use alcohol, tobacco, drugs, potions, or other items that require me to eat or drink them.

Mobile is an excellent feat for anyone, even a monk. You can move in, attack, move out, and with you being a monk you can possibly do so fast enough that your opponent never gets to attack you, being forced to always move up and use their action to close even further. If you've got room to run around it's amazing. Anyone who says otherwise is silly. With Flurry of blows you can get away from 4 enemies in melee without provoking AOO's, but even 2 will get you out of most situations.

Remove ads