• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a publisher/author's interaction here influence your purchases?

Does a publisher/author's actions here influence your purchases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roudi

First Post
Storm Raven said:
How is he a third party?
I am learning about tensen through eyebeams, rather than learning about tensen through dealing with him myself. That makes eyebeams a third party in terms of shaping my opinion of tensen.

hellbender

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
That's not what has been said at all.
In the case of Eyebeams vs Tensen, Tensen admitted fault, the case is closed. Now we're just discussing why eyebeams attitude will harm his sales from us. It's not that we have to choose between the two, we can simply choose neither, it's a free market.

As far as a Hobby Level, I think it's the other way. Some publishers consider themselves artists that don't have to deal with the customer, and whose interactions with those customers don't have a direct effect. Instead, they should consider themselves a producer of material who also directly markets to their audience. The lack of professionalism in those dealings will have an effect.

And moreso, when an author enters a discussion about his product by ignoring the concerns of the customer, it sends a clear message to the customers that his products are not worth their continued purchase. If the author can't discuss his products without getting defensive and attacking his customers, then he shouldn't participate in that discussion.

The funny part is, it's only a matter of time before an author or two reports people for "personal attacks", even though the author introduces himself into the ongoing discussion and incites it. Again, it's easy to disregard the opinion of the "those idiots on the internet".

I think this is the most well written post on this side issue. Nobody has said that eyebeams shouldn't get paid. Not a soul. It is a bad deal all around, and it really is too bad. As I stated earlier, I don't think he shouldn't have gotten paid, the deal just went south on him. However I don't think that this was due to a secret cabal against eyebeams. It happens when you freelance, it is inevitable and you just have to dust yourself off and go on. I do not believe tensen needs to be demonized at all, though. He is here, he explains his side and he is still approachable to eyebeams. That is gold, so many people would just pull the plug and bail, it does say a lot for tensen and eyebeams refuses to see that aspect. We are all wrong, our moral compasses are wonky.

The last paragraph was proven true on the page that follows it. Someone can attack people but if they express an opinion they should be reported. That in itself speaks volumes.

Do rpg writers have an email group or forums to exchange this type of information? I know that illustrators have a couple of very reliable information hubs and we can report good and bad experiences without everyone knowing. This promotes some publishers and protects freelancers from others. It also gives a heads up on potential jobs/contests/aspects of the business/etc.

Storm Raven

First Post
Roudi said:
I am learning about tensen through eyebeams, rather than learning about tensen through dealing with him myself. That makes eyebeams a third party in terms of shaping my opinion of tensen.

Ah, I see. You are misuing the term.

If you learned about tensen and eyebeam's interaction from, for example, me, then I would be a third party, because you would be learning about a deal between two persons (the first party and the second party) from another individual uninvolved in the original transaction (a third party).

Learning about tensen from eyebeams is learning it from a second party - eyebeams had direct interaction with tensen and is relating his direct experiences with him (which is why we call this second hand information, and not third hand information). Eyebeams is a second party, not a third party. Were you to go on and related what eyebeams told you about tensen, then you would be a third party.

But we don't have to learn about the interaction between tensen and eyebeams solely from eyebeams' second hand description, we have tensen's first hand account of his version of the story - and tensen doesn't make himself look very good. Even if everything tensen has said in this thread is true, my assessment is that eyebeams could probably have secured a judgment against him for fraud had he chosen to pursue a legal remedy. (Using the property in question with no contract of any kind, apparently not even a verbal one, is the real kicker).

Last edited:

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Enough is enough. This discussion can be carried on off-boards if the parties wish. This thread is closed.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Personally, I think the holiday season has gotten a LOT of people in a hostile mood on these forums.

This thread has been constantly monitored, warned and reported over the past few days, and no matter what happens, it keeps flaring back. The whole topic needs a rest, and I'll be watching the reported individuals on other threads. Some people are coming very close to earning temporary or in some cases permanent bans.

Thread closed.

EDIT -- Looks Like Eridanis got fed up with it before I did. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads