• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does anyone else feel like the action economy and the way actions work in general in 5e both just suck?

dave2008

Legend
They're really not similar at all. That's a bit of a myth based on the similarity of some of the power structure and other rules.

In practice they play quite differently. Some of my players who really hated 4E are loving the improvisational nature of 13th Age.
Maybe that is why I can't get into it! That being said we did quite a bit of improv in 4e.

Last edited:

Anybody who unironically advocates for widening the gap between full casters and non-full casters can go swallow a bag of wands whole.

Maybe not Sorcerers; they actually might need the help. But do you want to have Druids, Wizards, and Bards snapping the game in half even more than they already do while the Monk and the Barbarian are twiddling their thumbs waiting for that one singular enemy the full casters can't shut down so they can have their one minute of glory before going back to being irrelevant?
Eh...bards. Strong, sure, but over rated.

Fast Hands
Starting at 3rd Level, you can use the Bonus Action granted by your Cunning Action to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, use your thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action.

I'm going to guess nobody thinks you can slight-of-hand your way into heavy armor, nor is putting on armor one "Use an Object" action.
Yeah. I think its as dumb as u do. Its part of my point actually. Still looking for those quotes btw.

Tallifer

Hero
I much prefer the clarity, flexibility and detail of 4E's action economy. It has never caused any problems for any game which I have run or in which I have played.

I much prefer the clarity, flexibility and detail of 4E's action economy. It has never caused any problems for any game which I have run or in which I have played.
It's funny. I thought they were getting rid of it because of the whole "wait I still have a minor action issue" which meant 4E turns could take too long to resolve.

But then they didn't actually fix that issue so...

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yes. Its two seperate quotes that i saw a couple months ago but he did say it and im trying to find them again. If u put them together he really said that stuff. XD

I agree its hilarious
Hmm... I know for a fact that he has said you can don a shield with Cunning Action, but not heavy armor as far as I know.

Bolares

Hero
Something that I got from the OP is that timming diffeences between actions and bonus actions, (and between different bonus actions) create some breaks in immersion. But in reality bonus actions are not supposed to be all faster than an action, or all take the same amount of time to be used. A bonus action is not a faster action, it's not a swift action, it's just an additional action. Timming has nothing to do with iy. That said I do think bonus actions deserve some rethinking and clarification, but calling them horrible design and some other adjectives used on the OP are an exaggeration IMHO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads