• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does anyone else run 5th Edition from a 4th edition perspective?

Tallifer

Hero
Jewel giant 2.jpgMy players make their characters using 5th edition. They use stat-buy and fixed hit points much as 4th edition did.

But I make my monsters operate with the assumptions of 4th edition: solos have multiple actions; monsters spell-like abilities do not reference spells; tradition and textbook text have no bearing on their powers or extraordinary abilities.

Opportunity attacks; movement; surprise; magical treasure; experience points; rests; encounters; cosmology; alignment; Eberron; movement... so much stuff gets adjudicated according to my experience and love for 4th edition.

Really I only switched to 5th, because WotC stopped supporting the Character Builder, especially the downloadable version. But we are now very comfortable with our bastardized version of 5th Edition. :)

Tallifer

Hero
Is there something in 5th Edition akin to (the 4th Edition) Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies? If so, I would like to make such available my players' characters. Even a third party/ Dungeon Master's Guild option. :)04hiddenfaces.jpg

jimmytheccomic

First Post
I use the 4th edition lore- especially "Manual of the Planes", "Planes Above", and "The Underdark", three of my favorite sourcebooks ever written. I also use the 4th edition adventuring tier expectations- local heroes, national heroes, world heroes, to planar heroes. Monsters are upgraded with fourth edition abilities- I use both a mix of whats in the spellbook, and "special" monster only stuff. So I've got a good mix of 4e stuff sprinkled in.

I use elements of the lore, especially in the cosmology: primordials, shadowfell, feywild, the Astral Sea (in which the Great Wheel floats along with demiplanes).

I look to 4e when I design set-piece encounters, with terrain being key. And having monsters assigned roles for that encounter is also handy.
Solo monsters also get a dramatic hit point increase.

Other than that, not really. I don't like many of the things the OP does. But good on him for making 5e work for him.

Sometime our DM manage out of combat situation in a way that vaguely reminds of skill challenge.
Instead of dungeon crawl, some part of dungeons are sometime presented in a much more narrative way, that reminds me 4ed.
There is a 4ed legacy in 5ed.

JeffB

Legend
I fourthify the monsters. add powers as needed, whittle down spell lists to a few a/e/d powers, use minions, , modify things like medusa gaze back to 4e, etc.

i run improv skill challenges and use improv stunts ala p42.

I run adventures as larger scenes and fewer but more important battles. Smaller adventure sites (tbf, been doing this for 40 years)

That's off the top of my head.

dave2008

Legend
Is there something in 5th Edition akin to (the 4th Edition) Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies? If so, I would like to make such available my players' characters. Even a third party/ Dungeon Master's Guild option. :)View attachment 88744

Someone on the Reddit Unearthed Arcana has been converting 4e Epic Destinies to 5e.. I haven't reviewed them in depth, but in general I like them as method to go beyond lvl 20. You can find them here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/6xf9ka/epic_destinies_part_4_of_4_playtest_release_more/

I pretty much play 5e like I played 4e; but, I played 4e pretty much how I played 1e. :)

Alexemplar

First Post
View attachment 88743My players make their characters using 5th edition. They use stat-buy and fixed hit points much as 4th edition did.

But I make my monsters operate with the assumptions of 4th edition: solos have multiple actions; monsters spell-like abilities do not reference spells; tradition and textbook text have no bearing on their powers or extraordinary abilities.

I was doing this back in 3e when I started DM'ing and realized that I was putting too much work on myself by trying to "build" monsters and NPCs according to the rules. I just started putting down the numbers and abilities that felt right instead and allowed them to do what I needed them to do in the game. Want the legendary swordsmith to only have 3 HP but a +20 blacksmithing check and the ability to forge magical weapons without being able to cast a spell? He can.

I also have a lot more fondness for the 4e cosmology and god/primordial conflict than I do the Great Wheel and its alignment based planes. The classical feel was a big inspiration for my preferred homebrew setting, which is set during a mythical age where the gods/primordials are still at war (of sorts).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads