D&D (2024) Does anyone else think that 1D&D will create a significant divide in the community?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You would not spend it on a 2014 book either... You are 100% level up, so you are already out. So your hand does not count*... sorry...

The community is already fractured like the first world. And D&D 5e, OneD&D and LevelUP are all just pale mirrors of the true D&D...

*for WotC's decisions of course.
I did spend it in 2014. Why would I spend it again in 2024?

Nice dig on the First World. 😄

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have been prepared for this moment.

There is a special weirdness to not being “current” and watching it unfold.

I played 1e until 3e; 3e skipping 3.5 and really left D&D at until 5e emerged….imagine I am skipping another half edition again.

But won’t know for sure until I see it in print…

But I like 5e which begs the question…why switch if your group likes 5e

Based on opinions I've seen here and elsewhere, I think there's probably more like 900 sides...
that's the big issue... trying to box off people.

We see it all the time with every issue... if I for instance say that I want a more advanced and more thorough ground floor rewrite, I get told my opinion of a class doesn't matter since "I am not the customer base" but if I say I like a change (unifying subclasses, the rogue overall, the ardling) I get told it doesn't matter "I will but it any way"
The truth is much murkier... my group is very uncertain... we had (as a much larger group) mostly moved on from D&D3.5 by the end, and halfish of us came back for 4e... most of the ones that left for pathfinder came back for 5e, and that pushed a bunch (but not all) of us to update... now 5e is grating on us all in different ways, but we don't want to split 4e/pf again... so we are not sure what D&D will be. However as we have looked at the playtest somethings we liked some things we hated... very little we loved.

This is the first time I have heard about a D&D upgrade I wasn't excited about it... instead I am afraid of it mostly. I was a driving force to updatge 2e to 3e and 3e to 3.5 and to come back for 4e and to get the gang back togather with 5e... now 1d&D I can't be cheerleader for, and my group doesn't have one yet.

Exactly. No reason at all.
Why should they produce a book for us then?
Because they want our money? Sorry if I won't give it to them unless they make product I think worth spending it on.
I would think the goal is to get as many people as possible to buy the book... that I can help out a bit on... cause as the "money" guy I do get into some of the meetings about sales (not that they listen if I say anything)

You have to figure out how many of your current customers buying X (in this case splat D&D books and settings) and what you can and can't change that will keep the most of them. Then you have to figure what amount of new customers will come in. Then compair, if I put out more X I will count on so much sales, if I change X a little I will lose some customer but gain some and I project my sales will be higher or lower then if I change X a lot I am going to lose alot will i plan on gaining that alot back plus more?

there is a bit more too it, cost to change, expected normal growth, value of running 2 products togather to keep both old and new...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases