• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone have Digital Burn yet?

Shapermc

First Post
Still waiting to see one in my hands before I decide on if it will suit my needs or not. Very internal conflict. I will need to look at the new/recycled content before a descision is made.

Last edited:

dafrca

First Post
Re: Gonna pass...

Morgenstern said:
I was looking forward to this one after checking around their website. The few images there looked servicable, and it is in a genre near and dear to my heart. So I was quite excited when it turned up at my FLGS this weekend.

Sadly, it seemed a little thin for the steep price (150 pages/$35.00), and the paper was very light.

Morgenstern,

I think we both had the same experience. I was so looking forward to doing some form of Cyberpunkish d20 Modern. Digital Burn sounded like to ticket.

Then I saw the book. :rolleyes:

Oh boy, the price slowed me down once I saw the book. I dislike the whole photo thing. Most are poor at best. I hope they did not pay too much for them.

Then what is with the magazine paper? How long do they expect this to last? If I handle the book much (and we all know player and GMs need to look at the book to look things up right?) I would expect pagers to tear like the magazines do in the local library.

Last, I started to look through the stuff. Let's just say that I left it on the store shelf. I think this was a great idea poorly executed.

dafrca

BruceB

First Post
I think the content of the book is excellent - the netrunning rules avoid a whole bunch of the usual gaming pitfalls and actually work like, well, cyberpunk fiction, and there's just a whole bunch of stuff in it I like a lot.

But it really is overpriced. At $25 I'd call it a must-get. At $30 I'd recommend it. I'm not at all sure I do at $35.

tensen

First Post
Psion said:
I was considered getting this, but you have to draw a line somewhere when it comes to cost per page.

What is the valid cost per page at this point?

Softcover
32 page b/w module at $9.99=31 cents/page
32 page b/w Slayer's guides even at $7.99=~25 cents/page

hardcover
150 color Digital Burn at $35.00=23 cents/page

So it actually is a valid price, not completely out of the ballpark. Pretty good actually, considering it is hardcover.
Although personally I was disappointed when I saw how thin the pages looked. It looked like I was getting a 32 page product with an oversized cover.

tensen

First Post
bolen said:
so is this the only D20 cyberpunk game in town or is the another option on the horizon.

We released a series of PDF products called Cyber Style, available on rpgnow.com. A combination of several of the books with it all converted to work properly under d20 Modern should be available and in print shortly. It is all OGC.

2WS-Steve

First Post
tensen said:

What is the valid cost per page at this point?

Softcover
32 page b/w module at $9.99=31 cents/page
32 page b/w Slayer's guides even at $7.99=~25 cents/page

hardcover
150 color Digital Burn at $35.00=23 cents/page

So it actually is a valid price, not completely out of the ballpark. Pretty good actually, considering it is hardcover.
Although personally I was disappointed when I saw how thin the pages looked. It looked like I was getting a 32 page product with an oversized cover.

Hola Tens,

I know publishers like to evaluate prices that way but I don't think we're fooling anyone when we do so. I get my Captain Crunch cereal a lot cheaper when I buy the coffin-sized box down at Price Club and I think something similar holds true with books.

Generally, large books come in at the 10 cents a page range. I've thought that something along the lines of a 50% price increase for each doubling of the page count. Big (printed) books have the advantage that they typically sell better and that cuts costs in a lot of different areas.

tensen

First Post
2WS-Steve said:

Hola Tens,

I know publishers like to evaluate prices that way but I don't think we're fooling anyone when we do so. I get my Captain Crunch cereal a lot cheaper when I buy the coffin-sized box down at Price Club and I think something similar holds true with books.

*chuckle*

Well I like to see folks purchasing all books, and not just turning aside a possible good choice just because of the price.

So far the comments have been on the price, and the quality of art, and quality of paper. What about the contents?

Remove ads