• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone have Digital Burn yet?

tensen

First Post
2WS-Steve said:

Generally, large books come in at the 10 cents a page range. I've thought that something along the lines of a 50% price increase for each doubling of the page count. Big (printed) books have the advantage that they typically sell better and that cuts costs in a lot of different areas.

10 cents price range? Isn't that a little low?

14.95 for a softcover 64 page product= 23 cents/page
16.95 for a softcover 96 page product= 17 cents/page
You'd have to have a 14.95 product for 128 to reach ~11 cents/page

And they do have a hardcover on their product, which boosts the price a bit.

Although I imagine had their product been at 24.95 for 150+ pages which is roughly 17 cents/page, it would be flying off the shelves. Or is it just because of the appearance of very thin interior pages?

dafrca

First Post
For me, it is not the "cost per page" I am worried about. It is the life expectancy of the book. If the materials where good enough to use, then we would be looking at the book quite a bit. How long would you expect those pages to last?

However, in doing a spot check I was not impressed with the content enough to take the chance.

I will wait for something else.

dafrca

2WS-Steve

First Post
It's slightly low but a lot of the big books hit that mark. Second World Sourcebook will be 288 pages for $29.95; the frequently mentioned Book of the Righteous is 320 pages for $39.95 (about 12 cents a page?). Oathbound a whopping 352 pages in color for 39.95; Traveller "we wiped out a forest" d20 442 pages for 44.95.

BTW, FFG generally charges 24.95 for their 172 page hardcovers.

Shadowdancer

First Post
tensen said:

We released a series of PDF products called Cyber Style, available on rpgnow.com. A combination of several of the books with it all converted to work properly under d20 Modern should be available and in print shortly. It is all OGC.

Is this going to be a hard copy? If so, I'm all over it. I've wanted to get some of your Cyber Style supplements for quite a while, but I don't do PDFs. Let me know when this will be available, and I'll definetely buy a copy if it's print. Hell, I'll even pre-order it.

tensen

First Post
Shadowdancer said:

Is this going to be a hard copy? If so, I'm all over it. I've wanted to get some of your Cyber Style supplements for quite a while, but I don't do PDFs. Let me know when this will be available, and I'll definetely buy a copy if it's print. Hell, I'll even pre-order it.

We intend to, but don't yet have a time frame.
Perhaps if there is enough interest, well use rpgnow's print on demand service to get a few copies out to people in advance of a full print run.

Ranger REG

Explorer
2WS-Steve said:

Traveller "we wiped out a forest" d20 442 pages for 44.95.
Actually it is, Traveller "we wiped out an entire forest to please our gamers" d20 442 pages for $44.95 (US)". :p

Nevertheless, it is a good investment. I'm glad I got it at the pre-ordered price. :cool:

As for Digital Burn, sad to say but I do feel burned about it. I hope that someone representing Living Room Games can defend and convince people that DB is a good buy. Otherwise, it may be heading toward the same pile as Foundation. :(

Razuur

First Post
I actually felt kind of the same way for Way of the Witch by citizen games.

96 pages - hardcover - 14 of "witch" are short story.

The rest of the book looked absolutely awesome. but 25 bucks for 70 pages is cutting it a little close. I am real surprised that they went with softcover for Sidewinder Wild West and went hard cover for Way of the Witch.

As for digital burn. Don't know alot about cyberpunk. Saw the book. The cover got me, the internal art didn't, and I olnly glanced at the details before going to Swashbuckling Arcana by AEG (also a little pricy, but a good book).

I do wish Digital burns success though, as I do all game companies.

Razuur

Psion

Adventurer
tensen said:
What is the valid cost per page at this point?

Softcover
32 page b/w module at $9.99=31 cents/page
32 page b/w Slayer's guides even at $7.99=~25 cents/page

hardcover
150 color Digital Burn at $35.00=23 cents/page

So it actually is a valid price,

No, it's not.

You are comparing apples and oranges; small products have a higher price per page than large products. If you had a spreadsheet showing these figures for every product I ever reviewed (like I do), you would understand how outlandish this price is.

In this price range, it is far more typical to see around 15 cents per page. FFG's B&W books are about the norm and run about $25 for 176 pages - that's $10 less for 20 more pages. Sword & Sorcery books typically blow that out of the water, running about 10 or 11 cents per page. Heck, even the full color Mutants & Masterminds has a better price per page (32.95 for 192 pages, ~ 17 cents per page.)

Psion

Adventurer
2WS-Steve said:
Generally, large books come in at the 10 cents a page range.

Depends on what you call large. Really big books (300+ pages) tend to this range, but 13 to 17 cents is more typical in the 150-250 page range.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Ranger REG said:

Actually it is, Traveller "we wiped out an entire forest to please our gamers" d20 442 pages for $44.95 (US)". :p

Nevertheless, it is a good investment. I'm glad I got it at the pre-ordered price. :cool:

I tried to further convince Borders to expand their gaming stock and purchased it there.

I made up for the additional cost, though, by using it to stop a runaway 18-wheeler from crushing my '88 Tercel...

P.S. Psion's right; T20 isn't a large book; I checked its reach by having stray cats provoke AoOs and T20 threatens out to 15 feet...

P.P.S. In the "there's always a bigger fish than you" department, Multiverser threatens out to 20 ft. and it's not even a hardback.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads