Does Belief in Fictional Realms Cause Fictional Realms to Become Real, Physical Place

Zelda Themelin

First Post
There are theories and there are beliefs. There are philosophical discussions, and defending your beliefs until you are blue in face or worse, make it a religion, or cult, or become one of those internet weirdos who post videos into youtube tellling how they are really shapeshifters but can't show that part for "some reason" (=it doesn't work).

Well, this is kinda :p.
I actually like to read all kinda weird theories. They are kinda funny up until the point I find out some people who are all too serious about it. That is fun too, in small doses.

It was quite entertaining read. Thanks for posting.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
A long long way back we had a game going that used the concept that the world the GM created became real. The players didn't know that bwhen we started. It was a bit like the NES, too, as in the end the (PC) players and GM noticed it all took on a life of its own and they were, in fact, considered gods in that world.

Was a weird set up but lots of fun.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
You know, I took Philosophy in college as well, and while I did well in that class, I'm of the opinion that man must be pretty cocky to think the world exists based on our own perceptions. As if without our perceptions of them, they don't truly exist.

Well, I'm of the mind that man is just an animal. While our brain is a wonderful tool for all kinds of things. We don't make reality based on our thoughts, nor do we extinguish reality by not thinking of things. Reality would exist if man did not exist. The world/universe doesn't require the existence of man to be. It will still be here, when we are gone to extinction.

With that in mind, to answer the OP's question, the answer is a resounding, no. Fictional realms can seem real as we focus on them in game, but no, they do not become real, physical places - they remain fictional, no matter what.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It just occurred to me that the game Alan Wake revolves around a similar idea.

I'll spoiler tag the plot and the reveal:
[sblock]
The plot is basically about this dark force which is able to bring into existance anything, but it has no creative talent of its own. So it lures artists to itself, makes deals with them, and then uses their creative output to alter reality. And ever so slowly this reality warping makes the dark force more and more real.

Midway through the game Alan discovers that he himself seems to be the result of another writers story which became reality.[/sblock]

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
There are theories and there are beliefs. There are philosophical discussions, and defending your beliefs until you are blue in face or worse, make it a religion, or cult, or become one of those internet weirdos who post videos into youtube tellling how they are really shapeshifters but can't show that part for "some reason" (=it doesn't work).

Hey, I'm a shapeshifter. My shape shifted from relatively slim to round and rolling over the last 30 or so years! I can't show it because it takes so long. :D

I never came across such videos, I'll need to find that.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Hey, I'm a shapeshifter. My shape shifted from relatively slim to round and rolling over the last 30 or so years! I can't show it because it takes so long. :D

I never came across such videos, I'll need to find that.

Oh yes, I've gone through that kinda shapeshifting too. Though I think I suck since people still keep guessing my age totally wrong. And seem shocked when I tell what it is. Oh well. ;)

About videos people keep removing them (gaining senses or likely after being flamed too much), so I can give you my old links.
Looking for "otherkin" and "real life wereworf" or other such might give you some results. Interesting none of those people existed before white wolf games. I suspect it was born in internet set on stories of roleplayers "in character" type, that some gullible people looking for something mysterious to make them feel better about themselves tapped.

Who's to say that our reality isn't someone else's fantasy? Existentialism on one plane is by any other name Biology/History elsewhere.

Star Trek physics states that each event bends time to create a parallel and alternate reality that can be crossed given the correct set of circumstances, which would mean our realities and a parallel reality/fantasy would both be viable.

Freud believed perception did not equal truth, but neither did truth necessarily alter perception and could easily be dismissed as faulty data. Therefore as Pilate supposedly asked of Jesus "What is truth?"

Timothy Leary believed reality could be altered by conscious thought and concentration on purposeful change. "Good Vibrations". But he also believed that fantasy could not become reality. (Explaining away the bad trip, fantasy gone wrong.)

While philosophy is fun in small doses, long term exposure can lead to hemlock poisoning.

Remove ads