• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Conan speak with an irish accent?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Last night I dreamed about Conan and I heard him talking with an Irish accent (plus he looked a lot like Liam Neeson:)). The Irish accent makes since for the Cimmerian but of course most of us have been influenced by the movie and its Austrian grunt.

No, no, that's totally how I remember the movie.

Crom, I'n never prayed to yah before. I have'n tha tongue for it. No one, not even yah, will-a remember if we-a been good men or bad. Why'n we fought, or'n why we died. All'n that matters is tha two stood against many. Tha's wha's important! Valor pleases yah, Crom... so grant'n me one request. Grant'n me revenge! And if'n yah donna listen, then to HELL with yah!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Welsh: No way! Why? Because his name is Conan, not Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

*snrk!*

Maybe you're thinking Summerians?

The Cimmerians of Howard were definitely more like the Celts geographically, or even the Picts, at the very least closer to Western Europe than the Iranians.

Howard stole a whole lot of things from the real world.

In the real world, there were Cimmerian horse nomads. It seems that researchers have historically had problems clearly identifying their origins, but they were active in the Armeinian Highlands (in the area between the Black Sea, the Mediterranean sea, and the Caspian sea).

Huw

First Post
The Cimmerians of Howard were definitely more like the Celts geographically, or even the Picts, at the very least closer to Western Europe than the Iranians.

There is a theory, no longer widely supported, that the Cimmerians and the Cambrians & Cumbrians (i.e. Welsh) are related, based on their name. Howard probably just took that idea and ran with it. Rule of Cool, as tvtropes would put it.

Also on Celto-Iranian links, I believe there was a King Arthur film a few years back that used the theory that Arthur & co. were Sarmatian (yet another Iranian tribe) mercenaries.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
There is a theory, no longer widely supported, that the Cimmerians and the Cambrians & Cumbrians (i.e. Welsh) are related, based on their name. Howard probably just took that idea and ran with it. Rule of Cool, as tvtropes would put it.

Or maybe the theory was a lot more widely supported almost a hundred years ago.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Forget it- you want to have fun, give him a NYC, Bostonian or Chicagoan accent, or perhaps a Mississippi Delta drawl. Maybe even make him full-on Bayou Cajun!

"You wanna lurn to fight, chile, lurn wit a REAL weh-pohn, not a toothpick. Ah YEE!"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I was so sure you meant Conan O'Brian when I read the thread title.
1820779-coco_the_barbarian_conan_o_brien_conando_11_super.jpg

fireinthedust

Explorer
Forget it- you want to have fun, give him a NYC, Bostonian or Chicagoan accent, or perhaps a Mississippi Delta drawl. Maybe even make him full-on Bayou Cajun!

"You wanna lurn to fight, chile, lurn wit a REAL weh-pohn, not a toothpick. Ah YEE!"

Oooh, oooh, Minnesooooota! "Oh, hey there, by Crom don cha y'know!"

S'mon

Legend
There is a theory, no longer widely supported, that the Cimmerians and the Cambrians & Cumbrians (i.e. Welsh) are related, based on their name. Howard probably just took that idea and ran with it.

Yes, that's right. Says so pretty explicitly in REH's essay on the history of the Hyborean age.

Remove ads