D&D General Does D&D (and RPGs in general) Need Edition Resets?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Compare that to a game like Magic: the Gathering where the rules have evolved greatly since its inception but every card in the game is still playable (barring some exceptions) and you can play a deck using only 1994 cards against a deck made of only 2023 cards and the game accommodate both. (Balance issues notwithstanding).

I am going to guess that you're actually incorrect here.

If I went to my basement, pulled out the cards I haven't touched for... 20 years?..., and made a deck, and took it to my FLGS, I likely would not be able to play worth a good goshed darn because I wouldn't know enough about what my opponents were capable of doing. I could not make informed choices, and could not make sound plays as a result.

While my old cards might technically still function, my play is more than my cards. To play reasonably in the modern context, I would still need to become aware of that modern context.

My question is if that is in-fact a good thing? Does D&D need a clean slate ever-so-often to reset the board and introduce new ideas and build things from the ground up, or would it be better if there was a way to keep the rules from older editions usable so that every few years, we aren't repeating the Manual of the Planes or the Psionics Handbook or Big Book of Scary Dragons again?

So, while others have spoken to the economics (which, are much different from those of a CCG like MtG), there's more going on in D&D edition changes than just economics.

Magic the Gathering has the benefit that the play space for the game is extremely limited. The game continues to work with minimal architectural changes in large part for that reason - the basic goals of play are focused, and remain unchanged, since the first cards were printed.

The same is not true for D&D. The play space for the game is large - it might even be called "unlimited". And with no effective limits to that space, and the goals of play, comes the fact that we are constantly learning new approaches to the space and goals. And that does lead to considering fundamental architectural changes as time goes on.

Rules light RPGs or RPGs with very bespoke designs and ambitions probably don't. A game like D&D does, eventually. A given edition just gets too cluttered. Janky mechanics just get too tiresome to deal with.

The soft reset of the 2024 release is probably a better course for D&D, though, than the 2e to 3e, 3e to 4e or 4e to 5e transitions, which to my mind aren't resets as such.

mamba

Legend
Yes, core books sell better than adventures, but if you have too many of those, you hit diminishing returns. You might turn players off even trying, because they feel like they need all these books to start, creating a barrier to entry.

I believe you could keep going with one edition, but your sales would be significantly less. Even the 2024 version is theoretically optional / additional, but I expect that in reality it will be a replacement, or you stay with the 2014 version, it's just that you can play the old adventures with the new version.

Last edited:

Jasperak

Adventurer
No. Call of Cthulu has had new editions and refreshes, but for 40 years has remained completely compatible. The D&D approach to Editions was only ever a shady money making scheme from TSR thst WotC early on thought sounded great. But it turns out to be more damaging to profits than helpful. I heard Mearls ipine that if Moldvsy Basic had ascending AC and Race and Class in one box for both Basic and Expert....that TSR could have basically sold it as is forever.

So, now that WotC has learned their lesson, I doubt we shall ever see a "New Edition" with capital N and capital E again. Periodic cleanups and art refreshes, changing things here and there to fit the zeitgisst...but no rules changeover.
As a MAJOR B/X and BECMI fan, I would love to know where this came from.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
So I've been ruminating on something...

D&D has had (depending on how you define them) five to seven different editions that are effectively different games. This count doesn't even begin to consider print runs, half-editions, or repackages. And yes, some editions of D&D are compatible with others (or more compatible than with others) but effectively speaking, the rules change every decade or so in such a way that the previous version is rendered obsolete. Because of this, a large selection of a RPG's run life is selling updated versions of the same material. Updated versions of settings, updated versions of supplemental rules (psionics for example). Fluff may or may not be cross edition, but rules almost never are. The psionics handbook I bought in the 90's is useless in 2023 unless I'm running 2nd edition AD&D as well. RPGs effectively reset themselves every so many years and rarely have the rules been compatible enough that material from one version carries over to the next.

Compare that to a game like Magic: the Gathering where the rules have evolved greatly since its inception but every card in the game is still playable (barring some exceptions) and you can play a deck using only 1994 cards against a deck made of only 2023 cards and the game accommodate both. (Balance issues notwithstanding). New sets are effectively additive*, whereas new editions of D&D are replacing older ones. (* Magic, of course, has formats that range from rotating [old cards leave, new cards enter] and eternal [all cards within a threshold are playable]. YMMV depending on your format. Playing standard requires constant replacement, while playing Commander is purely additive)

My question is if that is in-fact a good thing? Does D&D need a clean slate ever-so-often to reset the board and introduce new ideas and build things from the ground up, or would it be better if there was a way to keep the rules from older editions usable so that every few years, we aren't repeating the Manual of the Planes or the Psionics Handbook or Big Book of Scary Dragons again? On the one hand, it does make large swaths of our collections outdated and balkanizes the player base into people who only play X edition, but on the other, keeping D&D compatible with older editions would require a lot of innovations made over the years to be lost or reduced to keep it compatible. (AC scaling being an example). If D&D was compatible across editions though, we wouldn't necessarily be waiting for the new edition to do a Planescape update book, we'd be looking at yet another expansion into the Planescape line that covers something we hadn't seen (or summarizes elements from different places).

Is there a way D&D could have been made additive rather than replacing itself every edition? I guess that's what 2024 is opting for. Or is RPGs one of those things that benefit from a good reset ever so often?
I do not think it does: "No."

Remove ads