• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does d20 cover all the Planescape stuff?

Excalatus

First Post
I hope you guys didn't get the wrong impression. I'm not trying to rip-off Wizards of the Coast. I'm just a big mythology/fantasy buff, and the gaming world is not exactly my medium of expertise. In fact, I've never sat in on a live D&D game EVER. My experience in this genre is confined to my knowledge of the monsters, planes, and game series like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

Rotack23 said:
I think you should go ahead and write your fantasy story, but I think some good old fashioned mythology research and your own imagination will serve you better in the long run vs. filching WotC ideas as a sort of genre “shorthand” for any monsters you need.

Good Luck

Actually, that is exactly what I've been doing (almost everything I have is derived from mythology and the rest is my own creation), but some influences (like the drow) is inescapable. I don't want mind flayers or beholders or umber hulks or alkiliths or yuan-ti or what have you, I just want a foundation of universal appeal to build on. A template, or whatever you might want to call it. The more I think about it, the more I am starting to like the SRD for limiting what I can and cannot use. That way all temptation to copy is gone.

Excalatus

First Post
See, it's not so much the material, but HOW the material is organized into neat little classes that tantalizes my literary tastebuds.

For example: the genies. In D&D, they are organized by Elemental Plane. Djinn are air, dao are earth, efreet are fire, marids are water, and jann are everything in one. In all likelihood, I would have organized those in that exact same way (but I would have added a few like the sheitan since I have a little more knowledge about genies), but because Wizards got there first, I might have to do it differently.

I don't like a few things in D&D though. I don't like their orcs. Too piggish for my taste.

Zjelani

First Post
Hey, if you are interested in writing a Planescape novel, but releasing it free online (basically just fan fiction), let me know by posting here. Over at Planewalker.com, we are the Official Planescape Fan Site, and have permission to release Planescape products as long as they are free.

If this is something you are looking to put in print and charge for, then listen to everyone else's advice here and either avoid their material or get a lawyer to sort it out. But if it's just fan fiction, then we already have been given permission and you can bypass all of the legalities through us if you like.

Last edited:

Excalatus

First Post
Zjelani said:
Hey, if you are interested in writing a Planescape novel, but releasing it free online (basically just fan fiction), let me know by posting here. Over at Planewalker.com, we are the Official Planescape Fan Site, and have permission to release Planescape products as long as they are free.

If this is something you are looking to put in print and charge for, then listen to everyone else's advice here and either avoid their material or get a lawyer to sort it out. But if it's just fan fiction, then we already have been given permission and you can bypass all of the legalities through us if you like.

Thanks, man. I just might hold you on that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads