• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does damage awaken a sleep spell victim?

Particle_Man

Explorer
DracoSuave, your math doesn't account for the Wizard's Orb mastery.

Orb mastery only works for one of the two effects of the Sleep spell. If it is applied to the Unconsciousness effect, then it cannot be applied to the Slow effect before unconsciousness. But if the monster makes the (much easier) save vs. the slow effect in round one, then there is no unconsciousness effect to which one can apply the orb.

The epic path "deadly trickster" has a workaround for this, if one is in the party, since it can have the monster roll a 1 on its save vs. Slow, leaving the monster unconscious and the wizard free to apply the orb penalty to unconsciousness.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I don't have my books with me, but I do think that the sleep spell just renders a victim unconcious. If I cut you while you were sleeping, you'd wake up in a heartbeat, wouldn't you?
I've always found it amusing that people insist on characters waking up if injured while magically sleeping, but think it's perfectly reasonable for characters to remain sleeping in the middle of a freaking combat zone. If it's just "sleep", then surely you'd be woken up by all the screaming, roaring of monsters, big beasties and armored warriors stomping around, clashes of metal on metal, and massive explosions of fire, thunder, and lightning.

bardolph

First Post
Player's Handbook said:
Hit: The target is slowed (save ends). If the target fails its first saving throw against this power, the target becomes unconscious (save ends).
The rules are quite clear. If the victim fails its save, it is unconscious until it makes a save.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads