• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does damage awaken a sleep spell victim?

jreyst

First Post
3.x and previous editions always said that if a character or creature is sleeping as a result of the Sleep Spell, that they awaken if they are shaken or if they take damage. I see that if someone is Sleeping (ordinary sleeping, not magically induced sleeping) that they wake up. But, if someone is "magically" sleeping, do they lay there and take it if they are being cut or do they awaken?

Verdande

First Post
3.x and previous editions always said that if a character or creature is sleeping as a result of the Sleep Spell, that they awaken if they are shaken or if they take damage. I see that if someone is Sleeping (ordinary sleeping, not magically induced sleeping) that they wake up. But, if someone is "magically" sleeping, do they lay there and take it if they are being cut or do they awaken?

I don't have my books with me, but I do think that the sleep spell just renders a victim unconcious. If I cut you while you were sleeping, you'd wake up in a heartbeat, wouldn't you?

I could be wrong, though, but that's what I get for not being prepared.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Merely being asleep and being unconcious are two different things. And in 3.x, it specified in the spell that any damage woke you up. The 4e spell just says "save ends".

jreyst

First Post
Merely being asleep and being unconcious are two different things. And in 3.x, it specified in the spell that any damage woke you up. The 4e spell just says "save ends".
So therefore, your response is that you believe the sleeping character would lie there while his limbs were being sawed off.

Timeboxer

Explorer
But, if someone is "magically" sleeping, do they lay there and take it if they are being cut or do they awaken?

They lay there and take it. The rogue's Knockout exploit also knocks someone unconscious (save ends) but says that they wake up when they take any damage. The Sleep spell doesn't say that, so by Exception Proves the Rule, the Sleep spell requires them to save to wake up, without the "wakes up when damage is taken" side effect.

Danforthe

First Post
Unless it breaks your game, of course. If the players simply use sleep, a first level spell , to take out all your solo monsters then just rule otherwise. As always it's up to individual GMs to decide if something is overpowered.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
An easy compromise is if the person takes damage they get a bonus to the Save. I would make it significant, maybe a +3 bonus on their next save. That might still be worth a character spending a standard action on to get a bonus to wake someone up, but not as obnoxious to the caster as an automatic wake up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads