D&D 5E Does DragonLance have mass combat rules? How is the wargame?

the Jester

Legend
See the title. I am wondering whether the wargame elements are enough for me to pick up DL. I'm not a fan of the setting, don't much care for the lunar sorcerer, and am not too interested in the monsters, but if there's good mass combat rules or a good wargaming system I can export for my own homebrew, I am going to pick it up. So- does it include that stuff?

Steel_Wind

Legend
See the title. I am wondering whether the wargame elements are enough for me to pick up DL. I'm not a fan of the setting, don't much care for the lunar sorcerer, and am not too interested in the monsters, but if there's good mass combat rules or a good wargaming system I can export for my own homebrew, I am going to pick it up. So- does it include that stuff?
No. That stuff does exist - but it is within the Warriors of Krynn companion boardgame, not in SotDQ.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The warfare rules consist of there being fights where you take damage every round if you leave the map and random battlefield happenings, like a volley of arrows.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I haven't tried it yet, but I DO appreciate the "Fray" mechanic that they've used in the adventure, but it's definitely NOT the same animal as a mass-combat system. I have yet to crack open a copy of the board game, but I'm eager to give it a go.

Now I wonder if D&D-One should allow an optional mode for VTT to play wargames or managing kingdoms. I mean with the VTT the controll of elements and stats should be easier and faster, shouldn't it be?

To expand on what others have said, an example of a battle scenario is something like this:
During 1 battle event, you are directed to either run a scenario in the WoK board game or follow the scenario presented which describes where the battle takes place and tells you how many enemy soldiers are involved in the combat. Each round on initiative count 0, you roll on the table for an event to occur and some examples are a wounded soldier collapses which limits the actions of surrounding NPCs as they help that soldier, a volley of arrows hit the ground near a random player causing them to roll a DEX saving throw to avoid damage, a wounded soldier enters the battle field retreating at half movement, a dragonnel flies overhead dropping the body of a soldier in the middle of the field to demoralize the characters (no actual game effect), and a hostile reinforcement shows up (this result can only occur once).

Aside from this, there are no other special rules I've seen in the book to resolve combat if you're not using the board game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases