Does Roll20 get Kickstarters taken down if they mention them?

MarkB

Legend
A claim of compatibility with another product, and a claim of support from that product’s manufacturer, are two very different claims. The latter is not what we’re talking about here.
Except that any form of direct Roll20 content (character generation, modules or any other content accessible directly through Roll20's interface) can only be delivered via Roll20 themselves, so there's no such thing as compatibility without Roll20's support.

Waller

Legend
Except that any form of direct Roll20 content (character generation, modules or any other content accessible directly through Roll20's interface) can only be delivered via Roll20 themselves, so there's no such thing as compatibility without Roll20's support.
Is that true? I've uploaded home-made assets and tokens and stuff to Roll20 for games I'm running. And somebody has shared with me a homebrew module they made, again on Roll20. It's the store you don't have access too, I think, not the platform itself.

But even if that were true, it's the customer who has a cause of action against you, not the maker of the product you're claiming compatibilty with. If I sell you a part of an engine I tell you fits in a Ford car, and it doesn't, you come after me, not Ford. As long as I'm not putting Ford's logo on the part or claiming Ford made it or endorses it, Ford has no cause of action against me.

MarkB

Legend
Is that true? I've uploaded home-made assets and tokens and stuff to Roll20 for games I'm running. And somebody has shared with me a homebrew module they made, again on Roll20. It's the store you don't have access too, I think, not the platform itself.
Sure, and you can do that just fine for your home game. But if you want to distribute those assets to your customers as properly laid-out content (i.e. pages, handouts, tokens, character sheets etc.), rather than just a bunch of loose text and image files they have to upload and categorise manually, and which will count against their personal data storage limits, the only way you can do that is to distribute it via Roll20's website. And that's not even touching on items that require game-mechanical implementations.
But even if that were true, it's the customer who has a cause of action against you, not the maker of the product you're claiming compatibilty with. If I sell you a part of an engine I tell you fits in a Ford car, and it doesn't, you come after me, not Ford. As long as I'm not putting Ford's logo on the part or claiming Ford made it or endorses it, Ford has no cause of action against me.
Unless you were intending to offer it via a Ford-endorsed outlet or website. In that case, you are implicitly representing it as being endorsed by Ford, and thus misrepresenting Ford.

Remove ads