D&D 5E Does the Artificer Suck?

Having 2 more infusion active is a boon. Also being able to use sharpshooter's -5/+10 ability. Especially with flash of genious cancelling the -5 to hit.
I don't know if there is an infusion that gives regular advantage, but I bet there are a few spells you can take to increase your hit. At level 11 your homunculus might concentrate on a low level buff spell for you.

Edit: thought, spell storing would come at level 10. It is actually level 11. At level 10 however you can have 6 infusions active and attune to 4 items. A huge boon at that point.
Your concentration spell can either be fairy fire or haste, whichever serves you better (probably haste).

Last edited:

Having 2 more infusion active is a boon. Also being able to use sharpshooter's -5/+10 ability. Especially with flash of genious cancelling the -5 to hit.
I don't know if there is an infusion that gives regular advantage, but I bet there are a few spells you can take to increase your hit. At level 10 your homunculus might concentrate on a low level buff spell for you.
Still hard to rate it over the "okay" category. Maybe more so in a very limited magic gear game where the infusions will have increased value but all n all the ranged great sword once a round doesn't cut it.
At lv 15 it gets a nice large boost with disadvantage on them and revolving advantage/damage added on top.
For you or an ally.

Still hard to rate it over the "okay" category. Maybe more so in a very limited magic gear game where the infusions will have increased value but all n all the ranged great sword once a round doesn't cut it.
At lv 15 it gets a nice large boost with disadvantage on them and revolving advantage/damage added on top.
For you or an ally.
In a high magic game, one extra attunement slot is a great boon.

My 11th level char has 6 items he would like to attune to...

A variant human can have 3 attacks (with haste) at potentially 4d6+51 (int 20, bracers of archery, sharp shooter), and still has its bonus action free... (probably sending in the homunculus for advantage on the readied haste attack).

In a high magic game, one extra attunement slot is a great boon.

My 11th level char has 6 items he would like to attune to...

A variant human can have 3 attacks (with haste) at potentially 4d6+51 (int 20, bracers of archery, sharp shooter), and still has its bonus action free... (probably sending in the homunculus for advantage on the readied haste attack).
Bracers of Archer only work in bows so it's not much help for the armorer.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So I'm going to do my best to optimize a ranged armored artificer. I'm going to pick level 10 as that's one of the levels he should be at his strongest compared to other classes.

I'm thinking Variant Human PAM on the armorer with the +2 magic weapon the +2 armor and a ring of protection. Boost Str with ASI's. Use Haste. This puts you at 4 attacks close to d6+7 (you can eventually take fighting style feat and get to +9). You'll have 24 AC while haste is up. You'll also have the defesnive field ability for lots of added tankiness. In addition you'll have a method to help allies keep from being attack by using your guantlet attack.

I don't know if I'd call it great, but I definitely have to give the built more credit than I was.

So I'm going to do my best to optimize a ranged armored artificer. I'm going to pick level 10 as that's one of the levels he should be at his strongest compared to other classes.

I'm thinking Variant Human PAM on the armorer with the +2 magic weapon the +2 armor and a ring of protection. Boost Str with ASI's. Use Haste. This puts you at 4 attacks close to d6+7 (you can eventually take fighting style feat and get to +9). You'll have 24 AC while haste is up. You'll also have the defesnive field ability for lots of added tankiness. In addition you'll have a method to help allies keep from being attack by using your guantlet attack.

I don't know if I'd call it great, but I definitely have to give the built more credit than I was.
I think the battlesmith is a better fit for the polearm master until level 14, where you have access to belt of giant strength.
Otherwise you are wasting your thunder gauntlets... On the other hand, you can boost int with the headband of intellect and are formidable enough.

Edit: I just wondered: what about a ranged crossbow expert armorer? Boost dex, use hand crossbow, haste and your special weapon ranged attack.
You have at least one attack with your special weapon and then use the hand crossbow with the hasted attack. You can then use your bonus action on a second crossbow attack.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think the battlesmith is a better fit for the polearm master until level 14, where you have access to belt of giant strength.
Otherwise you are wasting your thunder gauntlets... On the other hand, you can boost int with the headband of intellect and are formidable enough.
With extra attack I'm thinking thunderguantlets + spear attack + bonus action spear attack

ECMO3

Hero
In my game, you need AC and HP, and defensive class abilities to tank, and the Bladesinger doesn’t cut it.
You have all that though. You have AC and defensive subclass abilities that are second to none and upcast false life gives you a ton of hps that stack right on top of your normal hps and gets you total hps near or even above what most martials have.

Remove ads