D&D 5E Does the Variant Human need a boost now after Tasha's changes

Horwath

Legend
I kiiiiinda agree. Not sure about medium armor, though. If a race gave heavy armor, yes. Medium armor, though ... It does nothing for dex characters so it would just be a free feat for them. IDK.
armor proficiency is a half feat.
skilled gets you 3 skills for a full feat.
Armor proficiency = 1.5 skills.

having it trade in for 1 on 1 basis sound good for me.
Shields would count as weapons for trade, that means an extra tool.

And would do that for classes too.
I do not see many elven fighters having heavy armor. So getting stealth or acrobatics instead of heavy armor for elven fighters feels natural.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think the feat still makes them fine. But if you don't like it, you could always given them a +2/+1 instead of a +1/+1.
I'm of the same opinion. And this suggested "fix" (for those that who don't think iit's fine), IMO, is the best one in the thread.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Or just do not use this crap. The rest of the book, however, is good with some extremely good stuff. Some are passable at best but nothing is really crap save the lineage and the moving stats around.
turning off te spotlight illuminating the problem in no uncertain terms does not make the problem go away, it just shoves it in the closet & hopes everyone forgets about it being made so clear.

The whole book is optional. This crap is on two pages. Two pages that you can safely ignore. I am no lover of these changes and I did not hide it.

The book however has a some qualities. Subclasses, some are really good, some spells and magic items could also see the light of days.

As an optional book, it ain't too bad. XGtE was way better IMO. But...Two pages out of the book are very disruptive but these pages are way less numerous than I had anticipated. (But these two pages make me hate that book as they are disruptive.) But only two pages... the logical me tells me to get over it and just ignore them. If you do not have the deluxe edition of that book, tear them up. Then you can safely say:" It is not in my book." If you have the deluxe, hide it, go buy a non deluxe and do the above.
Edit: As an added bonus those two pages are on the same sheet. You'd only miss one sheet out of the whole book.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
armor proficiency is a half feat.
skilled gets you 3 skills for a full feat.
Armor proficiency = 1.5 skills.

having it trade in for 1 on 1 basis sound good for me.
Shields would count as weapons for trade, that means an extra tool.

And would do that for classes too.
I do not see many elven fighters having heavy armor. So getting stealth or acrobatics instead of heavy armor for elven fighters feels natural.

For heavy armor, yes. Medium armor feat comes with shield and a +1 ASI, so I'd be warry of trading medium armor for a skill. This is mostly considering there are few light armor classes that would actually benefit from gaining medium armor.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
VHuman is still top tier. I wouldn't spend a feat on gaining every tool proficiency in the game, let alone just a few extra. The only real "imbalance" is that custom lineage is slightly better with no real tradeoffs. The Tasha's rules just make some more edge case races actually interesting options.

With the other Races being able to place their bonuses any where, that makes Humans the weakest choice. The variant Human +1 to any 2 scores is trivial, even with the bonus feat at first level. Selecting an ASI boost for 1st level only makes your character on par with the other races for ability score improvement. However, humans are not in the stadium, let alone the game, when it comes to the additional skills, weapons, spells, abilities, etc that the other races get.

If you agree, what other feature should be offered?

Bonus feats can be character-defining, and there's a reason the Variant Human was considered one of the strongest races in the game. Polearm Master, Sentinel, Alert, and Lucky spring to mind - giving any of them to a low level character with an appropriate build is quite amazingly strong.

Remove ads