Does this spell look OK... mostly for flavor.

Lalato

Adventurer
Wik said:
You do have a neat spell...

Thanks. :)

1) Change the spell resistance and saving throw to "Yes (harmless)".

If saving throw is Yes, it would be what... Fortitude?

2) What happens if the memory involves damage? Does the person experiencing the memory suffer half damage, full damage, no damage?

As nothing in the spell description describes this scenario it should be assumed that no damage is suffered. This is a memory only.

3) This spell easily prevents raise dead from being used, but I guess that's not a big deal.

yeah... but I don't think it will be that big a deal. One could also burn a body with conventional means and not waste the spell.

4) Not a big deal, but why do druids have this? Clerics and bards could easily cast this spell - they are community-focused individuals. Unless druids are the community leaders in your campaign, this spell doesn't make much sense for them to cast.

Someone else brought up this point... and I agree. Consider Druids removed.

5) Constructs should be immune to this spell as well. Target creatures need to have an intelligence of at least.... what? 3? 5?

That's another good point. I think I'll also prohibit Elementals and Outsiders.

Lalato

Adventurer
A friend also pointed out to me that this would be an easy way to destroy magic items so I changed to description to say "mundane" items. Is this enough or does it need to be more explicit that this spell cannot destroy magic items?

--sam

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Lalato said:
A friend also pointed out to me that this would be an easy way to destroy magic items so I changed to description to say "mundane" items. Is this enough or does it need to be more explicit that this spell cannot destroy magic items?

No, that should be fine.

My first though was that this is a variant of 'Speak with Dead'.
The lower level is offset by:
- Random memory instead of specific questions

Campaign benefits:
- Cleans up dead bodies quite nicely
- cuts down on undead problems
- makes for a far-out wake when someone drops Ashen Memories into the punch... :)

I would shift it a bit to match some of the mechanics of 'Speak with Dead', specifically:

Ashen Memory
Necromancy
Level: Brd 2, Clr 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates*
Spell Resistance: No

The subject burns into a magical ash which when consumed will give the eater one random memory from the subject's life. The eater cannot specify the memory but will experience it in full as if it was his own. For the duration of the memory the ash eater is catatonic as thier senses are completely overtaken by the memory. While in this state the ash eater experiences a full minute of memory for each round that passes.

Once the spell expires, the memories pass from the ash and into the ether. Raise Dead, and its ilk, do not require the physical body to work of creatures whose memories have been Ashen, however the creature suffers the loss of an additional level is raised. Ashen Memories protects the creature from being raised as Undead.

This spell draws on the im:)printed knowledge stored in the body. The body retains the imprint of the soul that once inhabited it, and thus retains all the memories that the creature had while alive. The memories do not impart knowledge of languages spoken or read during the memory, nor do they 'set the stage'

Gnomes use this memory ash as part of their death ceremonies and rituals. Once the memory is experienced in this way, the eater then extemporaneously composes a song and performs it. Bards gain a +2 bonus to Perform checks relating to this event. Gnomes believe that, in this way, they live forever.

* The dead creature receieves a Will save, as do any ash eaters.

Material Component:
Flint, steel and a 25gp gem.

Notes:
- This spell fails on targets that do not burn in normal fires such as iron constructs.
- The memories derived from this spell are generally focused on key events or people in the targets life. They can range from the face of a loved one, to the terror of hiding in the darkness, to dancing at a ball. This spell can be used by the DM to provide plot devices or information in a game...but this use should be rare. Most often eaters of Ashen Memories will simply share in an experience of intimate knowledge of a fallen comrade.
- Some memories last a long time, but most are short snap-shots of time. Occasional memories are collage's of the main subject of the memory.
- Only very potent memories are experienced by more than one Ash eater. Instead each eater gains a personal memory of which they can then share with others through verse or story.

I think a simple table could be contrived to get the basics of a 'random' memory. X axis ranging on emotion and Y axis ranging on focus. In this manner two dice could provide enough of a random memory for the GM to run. This could be an important tool to have handy if your campaign uses this spell regularly.

Something like:
Code:
  x         Happy    Sad   Angry   Frightened   rapturous
Freind
Work
Battle
place of birth
adventure
Family

etc...

Anyway, the limitatations of the catatonic state plus the ritual length of the spell make this a definate non-combat spell. The short duration of the Ash's potency keeps it from being an assasins favorite spell as well.

If using Oneomancy {Dream Magic}, perhaps these memories can be played as dream states, allowing some control over the topic and direction of the memory.. but that is getting far off track of the presumed intent of the OP. :)

Quartz

Hero
Not a nice spell. It's an easy way of preventing opponents from being Raised. The problem is the turning into ash. Now, if you were to change it such that it only operates upon someone who's been burned to ash, say on a funeral pyre, then that would be different and I'd put it as L1.

Well, the spell looks fine to me. On the issue of being unable to raise the foe from the dead - In stead of taking the 1 minute cast time, you could just hack up the body... Easier than a 2nd level spell I would think...
Preventing ressurection is pretty easy actually, but thankfully should be last on a villains' to-do list. (Unless he's got a grudge...)

Lalato

Adventurer
I'm not sure I understand the concern with Raise Dead. If a body is burned by non-magical means so that it becomes ash wouldn't that produce the same result? If so, does it really matter if the spell does or if non-magical fire does it?

What if the casting time is 10 minutes or 30 minutes or an hour? Does that make it acceptable? Thanks for all the help everyone. :)

--sam

pogre

Legend
Lalato said:
I'm not sure I understand the concern with Raise Dead. If a body is burned by non-magical means so that it becomes ash wouldn't that produce the same result? If so, does it really matter if the spell does or if non-magical fire does it?

What if the casting time is 10 minutes or 30 minutes or an hour? Does that make it acceptable? Thanks for all the help everyone. :)

--sam

You know, I think adding to the casting time would reflect the ritualistic nature of the spell. Particularly, it would align nicely with the way you have crafted the Gnomish background for the campaign.

Remove ads