Does this spell look OK... mostly for flavor.

Lalato

Adventurer
Hi gang,
does this look OK? Level, description, etc.?

Thanks,
--sam

Memory Ash
Necromancy
Level: Brd 2, Clr 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: Yes, harmless

The subject, along with any carried mundane items, turns into a magical ash. A pinch of this ash, if consumed, will give the eater one random major memory from the subject's life. The eater cannot specify the memory but will experience it in full as if it was his own. Any ash that is not consumed within 24 hours of the casting loses this magical property. Each creature that consumes this ash can only gain one memory from it, no matter how much ash the creature consumes.

Gnomes use this memory ash as part of their death ceremonies and rituals. Once the memory is experienced in this way, the eater then extemporaneously composes a song and performs it. Bards gain a +2 bonus to Perform checks relating to this event. Gnomes believe that, in this way, they live forever.

Constructs, Outsiders, Elementals and Undead creatures are not affected by this spell.

Material Component:
Flint, steel and a 25gp gem.

Last edited:

Lalato

Adventurer
Actually, you don't get to pick the memory. It would be a random memory. So... you might get the first time the target of the spell had a crush on someone. I'm not sure it would be a very efficient interrogation method. For example, you may not get any memories that are recent... just past life events.

This just made me think of something though... I should probably make a requirement that the body must be no more than a week old.

--sam

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Lalato said:
Actually, you don't get to pick the memory. It would be a random memory. So... you might get the first time the target of the spell had a crush on someone. I'm not sure it would be a very efficient interrogation method. For example, you may not get any memories that are recent... just past life events.

I agree. I would make it a Necromancy and have it affect a body no older than a week. Further, I think I'd drop the bard level to 2 (while keeping the others at level 3).

Looks good, cool idea!

Arkhandus

First Post
Definitely Necromancy material.

Also, too potent I think; it's the new and improved way to dispose of enemies so they can't be Raised! Consume their magical ashes and they're gone forever!

....Okay, maybe exaggerating a bit, but I think it does do a bit too much beyond merely giving random memories.

SteelDraco

First Post
Actually, the spell doesn't specify anything about preventing Ressurrection. As such, I think it's fine - it's not like this spell is going to be used for powergaming. It's for flavor only, and can't be abused to any mechanical advantage, so have a good time.

(Upon reflection, I suppose it does prevent the use of Raise Dead, but no more so than, say, a woodchipper or a normal fire. If this is a concern, consider a longer casting time - perhaps a minute? That'd make it feel more ceremonial, and prevent someone from casting the spell in a combat situation, thus preventing a Raise Dead. But that's a minor quibble.)

My first question is "What happens if you eat the whole thing?" Do you get all of someone's memories if you just go crazy and consume all the ashes? Is that possible?

Land Outcast

Explorer
My first question is "What happens if you eat the whole thing?" Do you get all of someone's memories if you just go crazy and consume all the ashes? Is that possible?
No, you just fall into thinking you are him and forget who you were

Felnar

First Post
cool flavor, poorly defined mechanics

how many pinches are in a body?

what if i eat 40 pinches at once?

how many memories does the dm have to create in order to randomly select one?
maybe a premade table would help

Lalato

Adventurer
Thanks for all the tips guys... I'll edit my first post with updates.

EDIT: I think my edits answer most of your concerns. Let me know if you can think of any others. Thanks a bajillion for your help! :)

--sam

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
You do have a neat spell... I'd make a few changes, though.

1) Change the spell resistance and saving throw to "Yes (harmless)".

2) What happens if the memory involves damage? Does the person experiencing the memory suffer half damage, full damage, no damage?

3) This spell easily prevents raise dead from being used, but I guess that's not a big deal.

4) Not a big deal, but why do druids have this? Clerics and bards could easily cast this spell - they are community-focused individuals. Unless druids are the community leaders in your campaign, this spell doesn't make much sense for them to cast.

5) Constructs should be immune to this spell as well. Target creatures need to have an intelligence of at least.... what? 3? 5?

Remove ads