• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does this work?

interwyrm

First Post
Cle1/Wiz17 has extend spell, extra turning, persistent spell, divine metamagic(persistent). Can the character cast a persistent time stop every day using the divine metamagic?

mvincent

Explorer
Nope. From the 3.0 FAQ:
You can’t make time stop persistent. (Its duration is effectively instantaneous for purposes of the Persistent Spell feat.)

RigaMortus

Explorer
Depends, are you using 3.0 or 3.5 rules?

Also, you don't have to dip into Wizard to make Time Stop persistent. You can do it with a Cleric, the right PrC class and the right Domains.

UltimaGabe

First Post
mvincent said:
Nope. From the 3.0 FAQ:
You can’t make time stop persistent. (Its duration is effectively instantaneous for purposes of the Persistent Spell feat.)

Well, as far as I can recall, if something was mention in the 3e FAQ, and hasn't been mentioned or changed since, the 3e FAQ still applies- and, also as far as I can recall, the duration of Time Stop hasn't changed. So that still works.

mvincent

Explorer
RigaMortus said:
Depends, are you using 3.0 or 3.5 rules?
As noted, this should not make a difference in this case. In fact, WoTC came down pretty hard on this combo (even violating RAW to nerf it) because it was far out of hand. One could ignore this (fairly concrete and clear) ruling if they desire to (as with any), but the question was asked.

interwyrm

First Post
Well... any sane DM would probably rule it out anyways...

This wouldn't be a problem if time stop still aged you every time you used it.

Sejs

First Post
Doesn't work, as has been pointed out.

Look at it like this - Time Stop is, in essence, an Instantaneous spell (and thus can't be made Persistant). It's just that the spell's effect lets you take 1d4+1 rounds worth of actions in that same (instantenous) ammount of time.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
I like the idea, but I think it would have a different effect. It would just pull you out of time, until you dispelled it. You could be "in the spell" a million years, and then decide to come out.

Then again, you only get three trounds worth of actions in that mirrion years, nd it only seems three rounds long.

Hmmm....

Oh well, go with WoTC, it doesn't work.

-Tatsu

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads