• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does "Unarmoured Defense" work with Druids who are shapechanged?

Or, I could just allow multi-classing and say that you use the AC of the creature, but thanks for the advice.
That wouldn't address your issue - the druid can still suddenly do martial arts. Just for some reason they can only do them when in human form.
Great - then you would have no problem with my ruling!
I wouldn't want to play in your game if you penalised my mechanically weak but thematic character still further.

Clint_L

Legend
That wouldn't address your issue - the druid can still suddenly do martial arts. Just for some reason they can only do them when in human form.
Yes, I presume that they've had a lifetime of being in human (or whatever species) form and so picking up an introduction to martial arts is not as challenging as doing it while also being transformed into a completely different body that might not even have limbs. I just think that it's dumb. You obviously differ. That's fine. Maybe if you were in my campaign you could sell me on it narratively. I certainly wouldn't be swayed by a RAW argument. I don't care about RAW.
I wouldn't want to play in your game if you penalised my mechanically weak but thematic character still further.
That'd be your call. I bet you'd love me as a player, though - I never argue with the DM and just roll with whatever makes sense for my character in any given situation, trying to play off what the other folks at the table are doing.

Last edited:

Yes, I presume that they've had a lifetime of being in human (or whatever species) form and so picking up an introduction to martial arts is not as challenging as doing it while also being transformed into a completely different body that might not even have limbs.
They haven't had a lifetime of learning to move in a form that may not even have limbs either. Or eat. Or sh*t. But they can do it just fine with no practice at all, because it's magic. And many martial arts forms are based around the movement of animals. Changing into the animal should make it easier.

Remove ads