D&D 5E Does Your DM Let Everyone Start With A Feat?

Does your DM let everyone start with a feat?

• Yes, any feat we want.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Yes, but only from a DM-curated short list of starting feats.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • No, only certain races (like the variant human) get to start with a feat.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • No, nobody gets to start with a feat/we don't use feats.

Votes: 8 6.8%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Thanks for your input, everyone! Here's what I've decided is going to happen at the "Rolling Party" for my upcoming campaign.

First, everyone rolls stats and chooses their background, race, and class. Pretty standard; the players will create their characters using the default method (roll 4d6, drop lowest). We are going to be using the additional rules and features in Xanathar's, Fizban's, and Tasha's, so the players are going to have lots of room for customization. It's the first time we've used the optional origin/ancestry rules in Tasha's, too, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring out.

Then, everyone outfits their characters with gear.
The players know that they can choose a starting magic item from Table A or B. (This is a tradition with our group. It started when we rolled up characters for the Eberron campaign a few years ago, and we liked it so much that we kept it.) The players can use the listed starting equipment, or they can roll for gold and purchase their own...most will choose the starting gear.

And finally, we will have a quick introductory adventure. This adventure, "Out of the Frying Pan," is basically the vehicle that is going to deliver the free feat to the 1st-level characters. A soot-covered lady on the street will point at a burning building and shout "Help! My baby is in there!" or something, and the party will rush in to help. This will kick off a quick hour-long adventure, mostly involving skill checks and a battle against a mischievous smoke mephit. With the fire extinguished and the baby safe in her mother's arms, the party will be rewarded. They'll be expecting gold or XP, but I have something else in mind...

The grateful mother isn't wealthy, but she is a devout follower of Yondalla. She asks her goddess to bless the party for their bravery and valor, and her prayers are answered when each member of the party is awarded a feat! Each player chooses their feat from the following list: Actor, Athlete, Durable, Healer, Heavily Armored, Heavy Armor Master, Lightly Armored, Magic Initiate, Medium Armor Master, Linguist, Moderately Armored, Mounted Combatant, Resilient, Ritual Caster, Skilled, or Weapon Master.

And that's how we're gonna do it.

Thanks again, everyone.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Last campaign I let everyone start with a talent that was essentially a half feat from a DM Guild resource. There were lots to pick from and it gave the PCs a little more variety at 1st level.

Nebulous

Legend
Many of them had level prerequisites, but I didn't see anything game breaking if you ignored that. I only used the resource at 1st level, they didn't gain more later.

Remove ads