D&D 5E Does your group use inspiration? If not, why not?

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
We don't use inspiration at all. We feel that it is a mechanism for rewarding players for playing "the right way(tm)" or for disrupting the game by trying to be "entertaining".

We tried it. One by one, players announced to the table over a few sessions that they were opting out, and refused inspiration when offered. We were insulted that the rules thought we needed a cookie to play our characters .

We allow each player one "hero point" they can use in the same way inspiration could be used. It refreshes at the beginning of the next session, or when they accomplish a character goal. No one can have more than one at a time.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't use the system in the book, no. I do use something somewhat similar, but not based on the traits and flaws, or alignment, none of which I use either. I have something more like core drives that I like to use to help define characters, and an 'inspiration' system based on that and great role playing moments, where the dice you get are more potent than inspiration dice. I use those dice to power my Blades-style flashback mechanic, and I tie some narrative authority into their use as well. When the results of the die spend are cooler, and are tied to meaningful mechanics, people tend to forget to use them (myself included).

Retreater

Legend
No. The game isn't particularly difficult, nor is the mechanic substantial enough to keep up with. Plus when I do it, power gamers trying to role play for mechanical benefits was an annoyance. I don't use bonds, flaws, etc. Backgrounds are only useful for two skill proficiencies.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Nope because it's always forgotten about. I'm thinking of just chucking some d20s into the centre of the table equal to the number of players and saying that they can use one for advantage on any d20 roll but each time they do, I get 1 to use at a later date that session. Something like the Doom pool from marvel superheroes saga edition.

No. My players roleplay constantly, and getting advantage for no reason feels really artificial to us. I have no issue handing out advantage in general though.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yeah, we use it. I give Inspiration for good roleplaying, especially if the player is doing something in-character that is closely related to their Trait, Ideals, Bond, or Flaw.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Everybody in our group gets a point of Inspiration every session. I expect a high level of engagement and roleplaying from my groups anyway, and just having it be a regular thing both helps us remember it.

This method also effectively always allows a player to take narrative control on a moment's notice to look cool or do something cool.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases