D&D 5E Doing away with Extra Attack

Horwath

Legend
I am strongly in opposite camp on this.

I would like to see more attacks per round not few.

I.E. "warrior" classes extra attack at 4th,8th,12th,16th and 20th level. Same progress for scaling of cantrips.

Rogues and similar classes, extra attack at 8th and 16th level

Full casters extra attack at 12th level.

d20 die is so swingy that limiting attacks to one per round focuses on that issue.
Having more attacks with lower damage vs. one strong attacks, reduces the random effect of d20 later on.

I would even start with Attack action having 2 attacks at 1st level by default.

Xeviat

Hero
I am strongly in opposite camp on this.

I would like to see more attacks per round not few.

I.E. "warrior" classes extra attack at 4th,8th,12th,16th and 20th level. Same progress for scaling of cantrips.

Rogues and similar classes, extra attack at 8th and 16th level

Full casters extra attack at 12th level.

d20 die is so swingy that limiting attacks to one per round focuses on that issue.
Having more attacks with lower damage vs. one strong attacks, reduces the random effect of d20 later on.

I would even start with Attack action having 2 attacks at 1st level by default.

I gasp!

Horwath

Legend

hehe!

those are the two opposite school of thoughts.

One massive attack or lots of weak ones.

1st one saves time at the table and 2nd one gives more consistent results as fight are few rounds only long. If average 5th ED fight would be 20-30 rounds long I would be 110% for one attack per round only, but as most are done well before 5th round, I do not mind 3-5 attacks per round, even early on.

Xeviat

Hero
hehe!

those are the two opposite school of thoughts.

One massive attack or lots of weak ones.

1st one saves time at the table and 2nd one gives more consistent results as fight are few rounds only long. If average 5th ED fight would be 20-30 rounds long I would be 110% for one attack per round only, but as most are done well before 5th round, I do not mind 3-5 attacks per round, even early on.

I feel like lots of weak attacks would slow the game. I'm already frustrated by individual saving throws for everyone caught in an AoE.

Horwath

Legend
I feel like lots of weak attacks would slow the game. I'm already frustrated by individual saving throws for everyone caught in an AoE.

Maybe go then with 4E variant and spell attack vs. passive save DC?

One spell roll and compare to defenses.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases