• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domains

Kae'Yoss

First Post
werk said:
I also think wizards should make a D&D 3.5 SRD that includes everything that they've put out. They could charge a monthly fee (~$5) and I bet they'd get a good response and a net income greater than published materials.

I don't think so. For 5 bucks a month you get all the stuff you'd have to buy something like 1 - 3 books for? And that's supposed to be better for them? I doubt it.

werk

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I don't think so. For 5 bucks a month you get all the stuff you'd have to buy something like 1 - 3 books for? And that's supposed to be better for them? I doubt it.

Many people would buy the books anyway, and compare how many books a standard player buys per year, I buy maybe 3 or 4. Even if you say those are $30 a pop, WotC doesn't make that much because of publishing and distribution overhead...so figure they are maybe making, I don't know, $10 on a $30 hardcover. $5/month x 12 months = $60 This is nearly all profit, or as we call it, margin, due to reduced overhead.

I think it is a smart way to supplement revenue. Maybe even stratify it like cable. $5 for core, +2$ for campaign settings, +5$ for all published materials, +2$ for the Dragon and Dungeon stuff...lots of different ways to set it up.

I believe the 'normal' player doesn't buy a whole lot of materials (most of my players only own the PHB or core book 3-pack). This excludes most of the boards because we are not 'normal' players, many of us are DMs and we go above and beyond in our dedication to the game...that's why we are here.

So they would milk more money from people that don't buy many books, and additional revenue (or less operating cost) from the people that will buy the books anyway.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
On the other hand, I doubt that those players would be willing to subscribe to something and pay 5 bucks a month, either.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads