• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Don't add together temporary hitpoints - lessons from the cleric

moticon

First Post
This will definitely be one of those things that requires some official example/explanation from wizards.

In my opinion the sited page doesn't address the question, which is focused on what is meant by "different sources". If "different uses of the same power" are different sources to you, then you won't add Temp HP from iterative uses of a feature/power.

On the other hand, if "the same power used repeatedly" is the same source, then the FAQ doesn't preclude you from adding temporary hit points gained from that source.

This is because the FAQ doesn't address the situation of:

IF (you gain them from the same source) THEN ???.

At our home game we're going with "iterative use of a power/feature" is the "same source" and will add together.

Others will see it differently, and I'll look fwd to Wizards clarifying it. Either way it's not a broken deal as it will probably not amount to a big difference over the course of a typical battle.

moticon

First Post
Well I hate to be wrong, but don't mind admitting when I am, especially if it helps clarify for a larger group.:eek:

I just got off the phone with WotC Customer Service. While I realize they aren't Canon, the guy I spoke with there was very confident that iterative uses of warlock infernal class feature would not add temporary hit points.

The example I gave was "A warlock gains 5 temporary hit points in round 1 when a cursed enemy dies, loses 2 of those hit points and gains another 5 in the next round. How many should he have?"

Answer: He would have 5 temporary hit points, not 7. He compares the 5 he gained to the 2 he had (from the same power source, a class feature) and takes the higher of the two.

Hope this helps everyone...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads