D&D 5E Don't play "stupid" characters. It is ableist.

nI have one simple question. At what point in the history of the game of D&D did the backstory of a char and the subsequent acting out that char's personality supercede the actual mechanics of playing D&D? I remember very clearly how D&D was played some 40 years ago. At what point did it transition into a game where threads like this were even entertained?
People gain different levels of enjoyment from the various fun boxes in an RPG. Some value min-max over everything, some don't. It is all good.

Last edited:

How about we eliminate all racial ASI, everyone starts with 6x 11s and gets 8 points to freely assign at 1st level.
That way, everybody's slightly above average in everything, with a few better stats but nothing overpowered. And then everybody gets a participation trophy.
I would say six 9's, and 16 points to hand out, with no score more than 16. But I quibble. We are essentially talking a modified 27 point buy. The part about the participation trophy is quite on point.

People gain different levels of enjoyment from the various boxes in an RPG. Some value min-max over everything, some don't. It is all fun, it is all good.
I asked when did the inflection point happen, not whether every type of form of play under the so-called D&D tent is acceptable. From what I read here, or in just about any post anywhere, any article, the majority seem to now believe that sitting down with other people for 4 or 5 hours and talking about your char and its motivations is far more important that actually slaying a dragon.

I want to know when that happened.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I asked when did the inflection point happen, not whether every type of form of play under the so-called D&D tent is acceptable. From what I read here, or in just about any post anywhere, any article, the majority seem to now believe that sitting down with other people for 4 or 5 hours and talking about your char and its motivations is far more important that actually slaying a dragon.

The 1e DMG was filled to the brim with personality traits for NPCs. I assumed PCs were supposed to be similarly fleshed out - albeit more in long running campaigns than dungeon crawls. I think we really started getting in to character in the 2e days (which could have been a function of age more than edition). Certainly when VtM was the D&D competition, character was huge.

In skilled play days, did anyone play a "stupid character"? For those folks should this be a non-issue?

Somewhere in the eighties I’d suspect.

I have one simple question. At what point in the history of the game of D&D did the backstory of a char and the subsequent acting out that char's personality supercede the actual mechanics of playing D&D? I remember very clearly how D&D was played some 40 years ago. At what point did it transition into a game where threads like this were even entertained?
I expect you meant your question rhetorically, but the Bioware Neverwinter Nights CRPG (2002) shipped with "stupid" dialogue, of the "me no tink so good" variety for characters with lower than a certain intelligence score. To add insult to injury, only half orcs could qualify without being hit by intelligence draining powers.

But really, D&D has always been divided into roll-players and role-players, right from the start, and some of that role playing weren't done too good.

Remove ads