• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doom of the Savage Kings

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"I am not entirely sure, but they come out of the dark and eat you."

Hank contemplates what a grue might be.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Homer finds rappelling down into the sinkhole to be trivially easy despite being showered by foul swamp water during the descent. The climb up may be significantly more difficult he thinks, particularly as foot after foot of rope plays out and he still hasn't hit bottom yet. The black clouds obscure the view below and quickly obscure above as well; Homer feels he is descending through some featureless underworld.

Just when Homer feels he is probably about out of rope he spies the floor of the cave through the thick clouds. The slick, rocky floor slopes towards an inky black pool in the center of the cavern. The shore surrounding the pool is littered with shattered bones, bits of rusted metal, and broken weapons. Cascading swamp water courses down on him from above, while the hot, stinking fumes rise from below.

Lizt is beginning to worry that she doesn't have enough rope for the entire climb when it suddenly slackens. Homer has apparently reached bottom and just in time. When Lizt looks back she sees barely 20 feet of rope remaining.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
As Tender helps with the difficult work, he says, "I'm thinking that we'll want to ensure this line is strongly tethered before the rest of us get down there."

"After you. And hurry. Homer's getting lonely down there," Kurl sarcastically suggests before checking for the best place to tie off rope.

Boral adds, "Go ahead down next, Tender. I've got a strong enough back that I can help stabilize the rope against your weight once Kurl finds a solid enough tether."

Scott DeWar

Homer goes into a ready two weapon stance to guard the bottom of the rope and descending person.

GlassEye

Adventurer
The rope is tied off so the entire group can begin the descent into the Hound's Lair. Below, Homer stands guard as his companions join him one by one.

The pool is clearly supernatural in origin. Its black waters constantly roil with heat and the boiling liquid reflects no light and is visible only when it obscures the line of sight to something else.

Kurl is vaguely repulsed by the otherworldly nature of the pool. Gratien, Boral, Hank, and Franko all recognize that the pool is a conduit of great power.

Scott DeWar

"No grue down here, Homer," Comments Franko, "This pool would consume its being. It is pure power."

Gratien waited his turn. When the rope came his way, he tied off the end and committed himself to being lowered down. Heights weren't his favorite thing, but he made no comment. It wouldn't do to show weakness in front of humans. When he reached the bottom, a frwon marred his otherwise glacial features. "Don't touch the pool if you can help it. I mislike its look."

Lizt was nearly the last to head down. She slipped at the end, landed on her duff, and got up with a grimace. When she was upright, she hollered back up at Kurl, "Ready!" She gave the rope a yank for good measure. When everyone was down in the swampy area, Lizt looked around. It wasn't immediately obvious which way the group should head.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Kurl says with disgust, "This pool is unnatural and screams to be sanctified."

Boral answers, "Sounds good to me. How about we go and kill that hound first."

Tender smirks and feels to sharp of his blade, "Aye. Let's get this done." So saying he once more takes the lead as they go deeper into the lair.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Tender leads off and heads around the other side of the boiling, black pool to find a passageway deeper into the Hound's lair. There is one problem, however: he doesn't find one. What do you do?

Gratien had a careful look around. Granted, this place was unlike the natural world up above, but naybe there were enough similarities that he could discern passage.

Lizt hung back. She poked Kurl. "Maybe some magic might help."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads