• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Double Weapon Flurry with TWF

Yeoman

First Post
If I'm using a quarterstaff with Two Weapon Fighting and a Flurry of Blows, can I use the staff for all the attacks? I know I can use it for all the flurry attacks, but I can't find any reference in the faq about using the staff for the off hand attacks as well.

Also during a flurry can I use both ends of the staff? For instance if one end is flaming and the other frost, can I alternate their use in a flurry?

Storyteller01

First Post
Yeoman said:
If I'm using a quarterstaff with Two Weapon Fighting and a Flurry of Blows, can I use the staff for all the attacks? I know I can use it for all the flurry attacks, but I can't find any reference in the faq about using the staff for the off hand attacks as well.

Also during a flurry can I use both ends of the staff? For instance if one end is flaming and the other frost, can I alternate their use in a flurry?

last I've heard, you can flurry and use twf at the same time (not my cup of tea, but...). Apparently, you get the two extra attacks, with a -4 to hit. I'm not sure if you can flurry with the staff, but I'd allow it.

I think it goes something like this: Usual attacks may be alternated as normal; the twf extra attack has to be the 'light' weapon, which you have to designate at the beginning of the round; the flurry extra attack can be either end, since using the ability doesn't require any weapon designation.

dcollins

Explorer
Yeoman said:

Personally I disagree with the 3.5 FAQ ruling that allows TWF to stack with a Flurry. (My intuition about what the rules say here is completely scrambled because of it.) But granted that, it does say this at the end of a 3.5 FAQ example on p. 7:

...If the monk in our example has two sais to use with the
flurry, plus the off-hand attack, she can use both in the flurry
(in which case she must make the off-hand attack with an
unarmed strike) or one sai for the off-hand attack and one with
the flurry. The sai used in the off-hand attack is not available
for the flurry and vice versa.

So according to that, apparently the answer is "no": if a weapon is used in a flurry it cannot at the same time be used for an off-hand attack.

I would assume you can mix the ends of the flurried staff however you like, but like I say, this issue has become pretty scrambled up.

Yeoman

First Post
dcollins said:
So according to that, apparently the answer is "no": if a weapon is used in a flurry it cannot at the same time be used for an off-hand attack.

I would assume you can mix the ends of the flurried staff however you like, but like I say, this issue has become pretty scrambled up.
The issue is indeed, pretty jumbled. Since the example used sais it was a bit unclear how it would interact with a double weapon like a staff. Easy enough to use the staff for the flurry and unarmed strikes for the off hand attack though. I think that's how I'll go with it.

Thanks for the assist, both of you.

Remove ads