• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Download conversion of "D3 Vault of the Drow"

topdogg

First Post
Just in time for Christmas, here is "HD3 The City of the Spider-God"! This is an homage to the original classic adventure module, “D3 Vault of the Drow”, by Gary Gygax, reimagined for sword and sorcery gaming in Robert E. Howard’s Hyborian Age using Mongoose’s Conan RPG ruleset.

Many of the original’s high fantasy elements have been removed or toned down, but the module should be instantly familiar to those familiar with the classic scenario, as much of the text is verbatim from Gygax’s original manuscript.

I have turned the subterranean Vault into the valley of Yezud, changed the drow into Zamorians, and converted the priesthood of Lolth into the cult of Zath the Spider-God. I have also borrowed liberally from de Camp’s “Conan and the Spider-God” and the relevant stories from Marvel Comics, including the recent “Lord of the Spiders”. The amount of treasure (and magic) has been significantly reduced from the original.

The result is a 44-page PDF module, including 20 pages of NPC stats and new monsters and magic, which should provide many hours of play.

Check it out today, and let me know what you think!

Download at http://hyboria.xoth.net/adventures/index.htm

- thulsa

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I can only speak for myself but simply not interested in MGP stuff, thats why no post when I read the OP originally.

rgard

Adventurer
topdogg said:
150 views and not a single comment? Seriously?

I'll need some time to check it out. I used the Tower of the Elephant in my 3.5 game and it was a hit with the players and me.

Will post after I've read it through.

Thanks,
Rich

SiderisAnon

First Post
If a comment is that important to you...

topdogg said:
150 views and not a single comment? Seriously?
Okay. I'll bite. I downloaded the module and looked through it. I have not read it cover-to-cover, nor am I likely to. I can make a couple of suggestions to improve your future products, however.

Overall, the layout is nicely done. It's simple and readable. You don't need fancy for a free product, unless you're trying to wow potential customers. That is all working in your favor.

The size of the file is bloated, however. I'm guessing you did some sort of print to PDF. A quick run through Adobe's "Reduce File Size" command with default settings cut the PDF in half.

The maps on pages 3 and 9 needs to be sharpened a bit. The one on 19 is readable, but could also use some sharpening.

The heading you use for each NPC in Appendix A is one I found a bit difficult to read. Then again, my eyes are getting old and I've certainly seen worse.

What parts I did read flowed fairly well. I didn't catch any obvious spelling errors or other major mistakes. It certainly is much higher quality that most fan-created modules I've seen.

It didn't really catch my interest, but this is not really my type of setting or module so you were starting at a disadvantage.

I cannot comment on the stats or crunch that I did read because I don't know the system.

In response to your post in general:

I think you might be expecting a bigger response than you should from a niche product. How many people play the Conan RPG? (At least compared to the number of D&D players on ENWorld.) This is not to say there's anything wrong with the game. I know very little about the rule system. I don't know anyone who plays it, my FLGS doesn't carry it, and I've never read any reviews. It's just not my cup of tea. (And I've seen relatively few threads about it here.) So, of those 150 views, who actually played the game versus just poked their head in to see what you were doing with the old module?

Second, I think that for many of us, if we want to wax nostalgic on "D3 Vault of the Drow", we'll play the original module. It's not that hard to updated it 3.5. In fact, I'm almost positive I downloaded a stat block conversion at some point from ENWorld.

topdogg said:
... much of the text is verbatim from Gygax’s original manuscript.

Which makes me wonder right off the bat if you used this material with permission. There's nothing in the credits section that says you have Gary Gygax's permission to use his material (or whoever owns the copyright). If there was and I missed it, I apologize. This is still the first thought that crossed my mind when I read your post. Just because it's out of print does not make it public domain. It certainly isn't covered by the OGL.

I'm sorry if this sounds nothing but negative. As I said, it was a decently put together product, especially for fanfic type work. You complained you weren't getting responses, so I gave you an honest one.

Keoki

First Post
Vascant said:
I can only speak for myself but simply not interested in MGP stuff, thats why no post when I read the OP originally.

Amen to that. I'm a Conan fan and like the site but find the Conan RPG sorely lacking. MGP in general doesn't seem to playtest their products much.

topdogg

First Post
Thanks for your lengthy response, good feedback.

SiderisAnon said:
The size of the file is bloated, however. I'm guessing you did some sort of print to PDF. A quick run through Adobe's "Reduce File Size" command with default settings cut the PDF in half.

Yes, I did a print to PDF. I'll look into the compression options.

SiderisAnon said:
I think you might be expecting a bigger response than you should from a niche product. How many people play the Conan RPG? (At least compared to the number of D&D players on ENWorld.) This is not to say there's anything wrong with the game. I know very little about the rule system. I don't know anyone who plays it, my FLGS doesn't carry it, and I've never read any reviews. It's just not my cup of tea. (And I've seen relatively few threads about it here.) So, of those 150 views, who actually played the game versus just poked their head in to see what you were doing with the old module?

I guess you have a point there, although I suspect there are a number of "closet fans" of Conan, even at ENWorld. So let me just take the opportunity to sell you on the game. It fixes a lot of the problems I have with D&D (3E as well as other editions).

The rules really support gaming in the style of the swords and sorcery novels which inspired the D&D game in the first place (not like the modern dungeonpunk, which, as far as I can see, is only getting worse in 4E). Combat is brutal and deadly (and therefore fast). Magic is toned down, it is not a replacement for technology, and skills are actually important in this game (because you don't have spells and magic items that duplicate [or are better than] skills).

However, the system is still d20, so it's easy to convert monsters and other rules from other settings.

There's a brief comparison of the rules here:

http://www.yandros.com/RPG/Conan/ConanRPGvsDnD.htm

And a review here:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10174.phtml

So, even if it's not your cup of tea, you might want to take a look (or should I say sip... :)

SiderisAnon said:
Which makes me wonder right off the bat if you used this material with permission.

No, this is an unauthorized conversion, although the past and current copyright holders are duly attributed. It is a fan work, a tribute, and I'm not trying to make money from it. I realize that doesn't give me any more rights to use the material, but hopefully the involved parties will accept it for what it is. As you say, it's something of a niche "product", and after all, it can only serve to generate more interest in the original (and the Conan game). That should be a win-win for everyone involved. If any of the copyright holders disagree, please contact me privately (contact details on website) and ask me to remove the file.

- thulsa

topdogg

First Post
Keoki said:
Amen to that. I'm a Conan fan and like the site but find the Conan RPG sorely lacking. MGP in general doesn't seem to playtest their products much.

I don't work for Mongoose, and I agree that their products have some quality issues (lack of proofreading, bad maps, etc.), but there have been improvements, too.

And on the other hand, even WotC doesn't exactly score very high in the quality department these days, either... Take, for example, Monster Manual V, which has a 55% error rate in stat blocks:

http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=review&reviewid=3818815

As the reviewer says, "it was the very last opportunity for Wizards of the Coast to prove to their purchasing audience that they had finally, in the last days of 3.5, mastered their own rules for 3.5 stat block generation" (and they failed).

- thulsa

There's a difference between making a few errors in a stat block and making a game that is highly unbalanced. As a player of Conan, I love the style of game that my GM runs, but really the rules leave something to be desired.

Everyone's a soldier or thief. One player started with pirate but then wanted to change to soldier because the pirate class sucks. No one has even considered playing a borderer, nomad, or barbarian. We either want feats (soldier), skills (thief), or broken magic (scholar).

Sorcerers are only really good for dying, or when they have tons of time to prep. Adventuring scholars can make an okay warrior in a pinch, but their magic really isn't useful. Except when you die and can blow up your enemy.

Oh, and crushing grip? It's just a little broken to be able to deal 10 points of Con damage with a grapple check.

It's fun as heck, and I've sent my GM the link to your adventure to see if he wants to yoink it, but yeah, the Conan rules have some issues. Not game-breaking issues, really. Just it's funny how much stuff in that book we never use because it's so sub-par.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
I've been thinking of running a conan game for some time and recently picked up the second edition, so I'd be interested to find out if those who are critical of the system are talking about the 1st or 2nd edition?

Remove ads