Downsides of Working From Home

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Really, in today's day and age when we can deliver HD movies to everyone's houses all day, there really is no technical reason why it's not used.

But.. we can't. In some areas, school districts have to kit out school buses with internet connections and wifi, and park them outside apartment buildings so students can do online learning.

We can deliver HD movies to the houses of those who are well off. Not everybody.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But there are reasons it's not used and it's not holding them back.

It is perhaps more accurate to say that it isn't stopping them.

But it is probably slowing them down, holding them back. It is rather likely that their conversations are less efficient than they could be - they could understand each other better and faster if there was video. That understanding and human connection tends to lead to greater trust. And trust between team members is a cornerstone of performance.

You don't notice the impact over a few days. But over weeks and months, it starts to show. And goodness help you if you have to bring new members into at team when they can't see each other.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Covid-19 silver lining: if the disease reshapes the American K-12 educational landscape so much that online classes are essentially REQUIRED as a public health measure, our impoverished schools will be upgraded by force of law.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Covid-19 silver lining: if the disease reshapes the American K-12 educational landscape so much that online classes are essentially REQUIRED as a public health measure, our impoverished schools will be upgraded by force of law.

But then you have the issue of getting broadband to every kid, which is not a minor task.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It's not a minor task, but thankfully we have a lot of people out of work and government wanting to throw money at the problem. Maybe setting up a program to get people to work setting broadband up in various parts of the country?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But then you have the issue of getting broadband to every kid, which is not a minor task.
It’s a HUGE task. And considering America’s sterling history with proper funding of schools for teacher salaries, infrastructure and the like, one littered with all kinds of political landmines.

And it isn’t just the school having the network, it’s also getting the devices into the hands of the kids. IOW, $$$$$$!

But it will be extremely difficult to sell the concept of mandatory K-12 with mandates about social distancing/online courses for public health reasons while simultaneously not having that in place.

”You have to go to school, but you can’t go TO the school.” would run afoul of not only informed voters, but the law as well. Remember, the judiciary in KS slapped the State around when it repeatedly tried to underfund the education system due to the supply-side budget shortfall, violating the law.

Really, in today's day and age when we can deliver HD movies to everyone's houses all day, there really is no technical reason why it's not used.

If you have garbled video when you are doing it, my guess is you are using wireless. Or have a crappy home internet and other people using it. Because with a good wired internet connection, todays solutions will give you both at high quality. Even transcontinental - known from doing regularly. Or maybe you're using some cut-rate service, or thru a VPN and routed badly. Basically, if it's not good, there's some mess up going on that you can fix instead of living in the past where there were legitimate technical concerns about it.
Unless you are in a rural area. Not everybody lives in cities.

I don't think they should be required. I am an Online teacher, and as much as I love my job, it is definitely not the best solution for every student.

Having said that, I do hope that this spurs upgrades in the technological infrastructure so that it is an OPTION for every student. I also think that having training and practice in this is good for everybody, just in case a similar situation happens again. Heck, just avoiding having to make up snow days at the end of the year would be nice.

Remove ads